TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: October 27, 2021, 08:18:44 AM 
Started by John Harrison - Last post by greywolf27030
I think the alternator belt you need is Gates 9360. I always have my alternators rebuilt locally to prevent having this problem. You might try a Dayco 17360 also.

on: October 27, 2021, 08:11:51 AM 
Started by theastronaut - Last post by greywolf27030
I think Charlie Whitney uses something similar. doesn't he?

on: October 27, 2021, 07:25:48 AM 
Started by theastronaut - Last post by EShepherd
Are you using a lithium battery?

No, it's a Deka ETX12 agm.  Lots of Festiva guys use them, both with the original 1.3 and with 1.6 swaps.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-Motorcycle-Battery/50183741?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-PLA_SOL_146_Riders-Chore-Accessories-_-50183741-_-0-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk42L2PnW8wIViJWzCh1fyAv7EAQYAyABEgLh7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That thing is only 180 cold cranking amps. Is that really enough to start the engine with? If so, that's fantastic. It looks like it weighs only a few pounds. Where do you have it mounted?

on: October 26, 2021, 10:37:32 PM 
Started by theastronaut - Last post by theastronaut
Are you using a lithium battery?

No, it's a Deka ETX12 agm.  Lots of Festiva guys use them, both with the original 1.3 and with 1.6 swaps.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-Motorcycle-Battery/50183741?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-ggl-_-PLA_SOL_146_Riders-Chore-Accessories-_-50183741-_-0-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk42L2PnW8wIViJWzCh1fyAv7EAQYAyABEgLh7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

on: October 26, 2021, 10:16:03 PM 
Started by John Harrison - Last post by Rocketman
You can swap connectors, yes. I have put the Mitsu units on cars originally equipped with the Bosch unit.
The lower mounting bolt is different. You will need to find a correct bolt. (a good hardware store may have something long enough)

There was a cutoff date where they switched alternators, I don't recall the exact date. As I recall, most of the 91s with 90 build dates had them. 6/91 should have had the Mitsu unit

Neither is really considered better, though most seem to switch to the Mitsubishi unit given the option

There is a belt that fixes most of the squealing/slipping/breaking issues, I'm not sure if it's the one you have. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one

on: October 26, 2021, 09:47:51 PM 
Started by John Harrison - Last post by John Harrison
     I recently bought an 1991 XR2 built 6/91 with only 34,000 miles. Before I bought it, the prior owner had a new alternator installed. Within a few weeks in my hands the alternator belt broke, the replacement belt never stopped slipping. I did some research and found that 1991s had 85 amp Bosch alternators. The one installed on my XR2 was clearly the Mitsu, and worse, with a too-wide pulley. I found a rebuilt 1991 Bosch/AC Delco unit, with correct pulley, and asked my garage to put it in. As we discovered, Bosch & Mitsu connectors are different. The mechanic said I had to use a Mitsu; could not just change connectors. I needed to get the car on the road, and with no new Mitsu with the correct pulley available I had a wider belt (Gates 7350) installed. That mostly works. Slips sometimes only when starting. Now time for a permanent fix.
     Was my 1991 built with the Bosch unit or were some built with Mitsu?  Was the mechanic wrong, can I just swap connectors and use the Bosch?  Or should I get a proper pulley for the Mitsu?

on: October 22, 2021, 07:21:12 PM 
Started by XFi - Last post by XFi
Sorry Guys,
Local pickup only.
I understand. But REALLY don't want to do that. IK it's not much, but I'll chip in another $100 bucks off for a member here. Much rather have someone in person see what they are getting. Will also included the additional parts I have left from the vehicle (lights, cluster & what not).
Thanks for your interest

on: October 22, 2021, 06:05:31 PM 
Started by XFi - Last post by EShepherd
So I've got an acquaintance on the forum here whom contacted me about this posting. He is interested in the engine, ECU, and harness, and as I already stated, I'm interested in the transmission. We'd love to take it all off of your hands.

Would you not be willing to ship it, even if I covered all the expenses and time investment involved with prepping it to be shipped? If not I understand, really I do. But I need to know as soon as possible, so that either him or I can arrange to make the cross-country trek to pick the drivetrain up.

Let me know, thanks.

on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:40 AM 
Started by Kiwimagic - Last post by greywolf27030
I did manage to get the broken part out of the oil pump housing. Using 10 mm Pin punch and a hammer. then replaced it with a aluminium tube purchased from local hardware store.
But before that I purchased a complete housing just in case.
Now have a spare.
All good.

Good deal

on: October 22, 2021, 08:27:20 AM 
Started by greywolf27030 - Last post by greywolf27030
Both the solenoid and wax parts of mine worked but the water passage was stopped up. I soaked it in WD40, carb cleaner and rust remover. None of that worked. Finally found one. Thanks

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10