TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where to Find A New Rear Transmission Mount  (Read 8107 times)

1991---Capri---AT--NonTurbo

Where to Find A New Rear Transmission Mount
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Hey guys,

Anyone know where I can find a brand new rear transmission (Automatic) mount?

The transmission shop broke mine on the rebuild and said they can't seem to find one anywhere.

Thanks
1991 Capri Automatic, Non-Turbo 163,000 Miles, Driven Daily
Owned Since 2001

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

Also referred to as:

"Rear Transaxle Mount" or "Rear Engine Mount"

The Ford repair manual shows a number under the part: 6066 I don't know if that's the Ford part# or what...
Owned Since 2001

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »

Woops! The Ford part# in the book is 6068

Part# 6068
Part# 6068
Part# 6068
Part# 6068

Sorry...print was kind of blurred.
Owned Since 2001

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »

If you're thinking you can use an '88 or '89 Mazda 323 rear transmission mount- think again! The top stud angle is way off and the rubber is much harder on the Mazda than it is on the Capri. Expect vibration and for the car to just "feel all wrong."

Anybody got factory Capri Rear Transmission Mount?

Ford Part# F1JY-6068-A

F=90s Decade
1=1st year of the 90s Decade
J=Industrial/Marine Engines Product Line(Capri?)
Y=Ford Parts & Service Division; Parts Engineering Office (Lincoln Mercury Division Service Parts) Source Code

6068=Transmission Mount

A=Suffix, B,C,D, etc. updated parts would work/interchange if you originally had an "A"
Owned Since 2001

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »

I gotcha Clarke.... I'll send pictures shortly....
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

Russ I think that mount I gave you last weekend is for an auto
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Russ + Matt,

That part from last weekend was stamped:

89JA-6068 AA

It is not the same rear transmission mount as used on my '91 N/A Auto. Yours btw is a dead ringer for the '89 Mazda 323 GTX Turbo- Beck/Arnley Part# 1041341

My mount has a more radical/steeper angle "top stud platform" than yours. Another distinguishing characteristic is that yours, whilst viewed from the side of the "top stud platform", makes basically a 3 sided triangle. Mine is "square backed 90 degrees" thus making a 4-sided "watchamacallit!"

Another distinguishing characteristic is that your rubber (around the 89J) turns 90 degrees and runs straight up to the "top stud platform." Mine is all blobbed and hanging out like it's got a beer gut hanging out the back!

Yours has a red dot, mine has a blue dot.

LOL This post is getting funnier by the minute  

Guys, how about Rummage around out there in your junk bins and see if you can come up with anything.

Thanks,
Owned Since 2001

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

Me again,

Yours has a "spinning atom thingy and a 1-1" embossed into the side of the rubber filling above the part# 89JA-6068 AA.

Though I cannot make out the part# on mine, I can in fact see a "spinning atom thingy and a 2-4" above my gouged up part#.

Didn't know if that was important or if it signified anything to anyone out there "in the know" about these things.

Thanks
Owned Since 2001

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

Sorry the 323 GTX did not use a rear mount like that. It used a round rear mount on the back of the AWD gearbox. (somewhat similar to the front trans mount. I still have mine sitting around here somewhere)

The 323 GT used a mount just like that, which would also be the same as the XR2 (the GT is FWD, the GTX is AWD. Big difference that "X" makes)

That would be an XR2 mount then. I wonder if the nonturbo mount is also the same.

I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »

Did you try the dealer? Looks like you can still get it: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx?addpart=F1JY-6068-A

This is the part # you want F1JY-6068-A

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »

Rocket Man,

Thanks for the input regarding the Mazda GT/GTX differences- too bad Advance Auto doesn't keep up with such things- I guess I just spread their disinfo regarding the Model/Part# (sorry folks). They've probably got the GT/GTX backwards in their system- wouldn't be the first time...

Yes, thank you for the Ford part#. I already tried that, and though it says the item is "shippable" it's no longer available. Ford dealers ran it through their "World System" or something like that, and I was told that F1JY-6068-A was "not available or in stock in any Ford dealership in North America- sorry, the parts been discontinued."

I said, "Aaaaaaaalllllllllllllrighty then!"

Midco sells the incorrect one from CarQuest (Mazda 323)...so been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

Anyone out there know where to find one?

Ford Part# F1JY-6068-A
Rear Engine/Transaxle/Transmission Mount

Please Help!
Owned Since 2001

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »

If you're desperate, send me the old mount. I will remove the old rubber and replace it with castable urethane. I have 90 durometer 2-part castable from where I used to work.

My automatic parts car I had back in 2005 also had a torn rear mount. half of the mount went with the transmission when I gave it away

Regarding the 323:
Since the 323 turbo was a rare model to begin with (IIRC only 900? FWD models, and 1243 AWD models) the interchange info isn't very accurate. A lot of the parts will be listed for "323 TURBO" which could be either model, or "323 GT/GTX"
Sometimes you'll get a 323 TURBO EX. 4WD or 4WD ONLY
You really gotta know what you're looking for with them, cause some of the 4wd parts are much different

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »

Rocket Man,

Thanks for the offer. Does that rubber vulcanize at room temperature? Is it soft and "squishy?" The 323 mount's rubber was hard as a brick- my factory mount's rubber was quite "rubbery." I attribute that to the smooth ride/idle it used to have immediately before the trans repair.

Is it possible to simply repair mine w/RTV? Would it hold? The guys at the shop pretty much man-handled the thing to death with mondo grease on their hands- but of course!    Not sure how the greasy rubber could be properly "prepped" for proper adhesion.

Thanks
Owned Since 2001

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

It's urethane as opposed to rubber, it's a two part castable that cures at room temperature in about an hour and reaches it's rated hardness within 24 hours. 90 durometer is pretty stiff but it isn't terrible. I have an additive that can bring it down to about 60 durometer. We used to to cast replacement mounts on our vibratory machinery at the foundry, it's super high quality (and expensive) stuff

Most new mounts will feel pretty stiff. If the mount was soaking in engine oil or ATF it could become soft over time.

I would properly clean and degrease the old mount, that's not an issue at all.

RTV would not work. 3M Window-Weld is a caulk-type urethane that can work, it's popular for stiffening stock mounts. But those are round captured type mounts, the mount in question is a block/pillow type mount. I don't think the window weld would have the proper adhesive properties to keep the mount together.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »

Rocket Man,

Thanks for the reply.

I've got some Urethane caulk laying around the shop. It's in an orange tube and it's called "NP1."

So you think I can degrease the mount with something like "Greased Lightning" then squeeze the NP1 on one of the severed halves, spread it around and stick the two pieces back together like making a sandwich?

Think that would hold?

Sending Russ images of my original "broken" mount...

Thanks,
Owned Since 2001
Pages: [1] 2