TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Time to get her running (maybe)  (Read 4787 times)

nepacapri

Time to get her running (maybe)
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »

Hey all,

Early last spring my 94 NA overheated and blew the headgasket.  I wanted to get her running but things came up, I really want to start work on it, I've never done a head before (I did do the waterpump/timing belt last year before the meltdown).  Is this something that someone with medium mechanical ability can perform?  The timing belt and waterpump took about 7 hours for me to do.  I've read the procedure at techcapri but am looking for some pointers as I really don't want to pay a shop to have it fixed.

Thanks

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »

Never had to do one myself, I was going to break down my spare motors but never had a chance to do that either.

I would think if you did the pump and timing you could do this. I would think identifying the bad stuff when its torn apart would be the hardest..

If you was close i have a Perfectly good NA motor..  :D
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »

You're close to me, I'm available for hire... I can do a head gasket in ~4-6hrs or less if everything is in good shape, it depends on if your head will need decking or not. How bad is it, compression check?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

nepacapri

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

Thanks all

Rocket I may take you up on that offer...one of my employees at work is into old MGs he's offered to come over this weekend and take a look and do a compression test.  He's offered to let me use his pole barn and tools and to help for some beer money LOL.  He's never worked on something this modern but is willing to help out.

He's recomending a felpro gasket...actually he said I should just get a total gasket set and change them all.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »

I'd take Matt up on his offer, if I were you......The guy's a frigging genius when it comes to these cars.
Maybe, if you're lucky, he'll drive out to you in the GTXR2, and give you a ride. If he does, wear a diaper-you'll need it!!  :D  

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »

Felpro are great from what i here....In the DSM world a lot of them use those and they hold a lot of boost so it would be a good choice
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

The OEM composite gasket is a very very good piece, if fel-pro uses composite as well I would not hesitate to use it. You'll also need intake manifold to head, exhaust manifold to head, and valvecover gaskets, dizzy o-ring too if you can. Full gasket set is a good idea, cheaper as a set...but you'll end up with a handful of parts you won't need. Avoid the cheap eBay gasket sets, their head gaskets are pretty crappy. (had one fail on me)

I've got a full set of tools needed for the job I always carry in my trunk, don't think I will have the GTXR2 out on the road for now, needs a fair bit of work at the moment
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"