TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: balancer...  (Read 5376 times)

rdrr96

balancer...
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

alrighty so the v-belt broke on the girlfriends 91 n/a capri. traced that back to the alternator cause it was locking up! sweet, finally manage to install the new alternator and the new belt breaks. grrr! alrighty so i check the waterpump and the waterpump is also locking up which wuld explain the overheating issue. so we get a new waterpump installed. belts still breaking... getting old rather fast. i went through 4 belts in 3 weeks.

come to find out now after checking, rechecking and then getting a second, third then 4th opinion, the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) is out of balance.

i cant get one of those things anywhere. ive checked all auto parts stores and then some (online). can not find one.

any ideas as to where i can get one? the car was built in march of 91, so im guessing it was a rather late production 91. another question is, when will the car stop breaking and just RUN properly?
-Mike

darqueyes

balancer...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »

Don't be so sure that is your problem.  There was a problem with the original pulleys.  There is an upgrade and the only place you can get it is from Pat at Mid County Classic Mustang.  There is a link from this site.
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
balancer...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

Hey Mike! Yes that is a later production Capri. But anyways there was a problem with keyways on crankshaft snouts where the pully mounted. Mercury/Mazda midway through '91 increased the diameter of the cranksnout due to problems like your's. Have you removed the pully yet? If so and if the crank keyway is not damaged then you're in luck. If the keyway is clean or mildly damaged where you can pick at it with a file and/or dremel tool to cleanit upthen you can procede with a replacement pully from a wrecking yard. if the keyway is totaled then you're in for another engine.  Good Luck!  Gus.

darqueyes

balancer...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »

Mike the only reason I mention the pulley upgrade is because I had the exact same problem with my '91. according to MCCM; the alternator pulley upgrade kit is for all cars built before 10-91.  Check to make sure you have the new pulley.  Other than that, Pat at MCCM bought all the Ford stock of parts.  If he doesn't have what you need you have to find someone who is parting one out.
Terri
\\\'94 XR2

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
balancer...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »

Hey Mike! Also since you have an N/A, You can look at Mazda323 from about 1988--1992 in the pick-n-pull yards. I may be off a year there but if it is DOHC on the vale cover it most likely is what you're looking for.  Good Luck  Gus.

1992xr2

balancer...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

the Mazda323 forum is dead
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
balancer...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

Hey XR2! What is your point about 323 forum? Gus.

rdrr96

balancer...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »

thanks for all the responses guys. i was really hoping that it wasnt the crank pulley but after i got the new alternator installed and tensioned down i noticed the crank pulley wobbling quite abundantly. it was wobbling enough that i could physically see what the balancer was doing as well as the belt bouncing with it. so im fairly certain that is the issue.

however, i have not removed the pulley yet due to weather circumstances. but i will be sure to check the key way and what not. thanks guys!

ill let you know how things go. if it turns out there crank play or anything like that the car will be going up for sale as a parts car as i have put quite a bit of new parts on the thing.
-Mike

easywind

• http://buzzflash.com
balancer...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »

The mazda forum is up and running and there is a link on fordfestiva.com to the site.

1992xr2

balancer...
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »

What 323 forum are you guys talking about?  Mazda323performance has been dead for weeks, is there some other 323 forum? mazdas247?
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

rdrr96

balancer...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

alright, so i stll have not got a chance to remove the balancer. but i think the car may have bigger issues. i now can phsyically see the pulley's run out. i guess there was some plastic or rubber on the back that kept it in balance but... it dry rotted and fell out of place.

alternator, waterpump, crank belt wont stay on. car tears through them like a chainsaw.

anyone have a parts car that i could score the harmonic balancer off of? it would be much appreciated, even if it didnt fix the problem. i would atleast like to give it a try.
-Mike