TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Exhaust System Help  (Read 3577 times)

JeffL

Exhaust System Help
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:00 AM »

Hi All -
I have a question in regards to my exhaust system that I was hoping someone can help with. I was driving my 93 NA yesterday and the Catalytic Converter Heat Shield fell off on the road.  It was rusted pretty bad.  Is it safe to drive the car without the shield? Any advice on replacing the cat convertor only or does it involve replacing more components of the exhaust system. I owned the car a year and I think its all original based on the visual condition.
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Exhaust System Help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »

I removed all the heat shields on my XR2 when it still had a stock exhaust. They just rust out and rattle away.

I'd say unless you are really concerned about it, it'll be fine.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Exhaust System Help
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »

i would keep the gas tank's heat shield in place though.... an exploding capri would be a bad thing

JeffL

Exhaust System Help
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »

Thanks Rocketman - appreciate the info.  The exhaust system seems fine without it (not any louder) and I can think of allot of things I rather spend my money on than a new catalytic converter!  take care Jeff

spiro

• http://N/a
Exhaust System Help
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »

yeah dont worry about the heat shield.

I just had my whole exhaust re-done from engine all the way back. You can refer to my other post in another section of this forum if you need any tips on the system...

regards,
spiro - 1989 SA Ford Capri