TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: acceleration problem in 94 xr2  (Read 5794 times)

Gorezilla

acceleration problem in 94 xr2
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

I have recently bought a 94 xr2 turbo, Its a great car to drive but if I floor it sometimes the rev warning beeper, beeps prematurely and the acceleration cuts in and out I have my foot down. Any ideas? happens sometimes when i floor it in 3rd but also in 5th gear its doing it at low revs, 4k sometimes

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »

Sounds like you have boost creep issues. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Running a boost controller?

There is no rev beep, it sounds like you're hitting overboost and the buzzer is sounding.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gorezilla

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

I don't know much bout turbo set-ups. The previous owner said the was a rev warning, could be bull!@# for all I know. But there's a beeping noise that sounds when the revs get high signalling that you should shift up into the next gear. Most of the time this is seems accurate.

I think the exhaust is stock, there is a boost controller on there but a friend says that its a pretty cheap one, I don't think it has a beeper on it. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to that sort of stuff though.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

If you remove the boost controller you'll stop hitting the boost cut.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

Hey Gore! You're focusing on RPM, but what does the boost gauge show at these points? That is one additional clue we need to possibly help you.  Gus

Gorezilla

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »

The boost gauge on the dash seems a bit out of whack, even when the turbo isn't going and i'm puttin' along, it reads at about a quarter on the gauge and on boost goes way off the gauge. over boosting could definitely be the problem. but its hard to tell when the gauge isnt reading correctly

Gorezilla

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »

Thanks alot by the way for trying to help, its much appreciated

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »

Hey Gore!  From what you're saying, it sounds like the boost cut-off is coming on. It is a solenoid on the fire-wall with a two wire lead. Just un-plug it and the jumping will stop. Now the mystery begins as to why it's engaging. You'll need to adjust the controller. You don't want to boost above 10lbs with a modified ECU. The boost limit comes on at approximately 11lbs. With-out a rocket-chip in place, you could likely start to burn pistons when above 11lbs. The stock ECU only handles proper fuel Air Fuel Ratios (AFR) up to 11lbs. The Rocket-chip ECU handles to 19lbs approx. and jumps the red-line higher to approx 7000rpm.  Gus

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rocket, but can't you adjust the red-line per user specs?  I know the Rocketchip I have is good for 7500 RPM! Don't ask me how I know...........  :cool:  

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Phillip

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »

Don't unplug anything! If you don't find the problem you could trash the motor.
It sounds like a bad vacuume hose to the boost controler to me. If it's a cheap controler that could be the problem Rocket is right delete the controler and re hose the system. The problem should go away.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »

Yes, dont go unplugging the boost cut until you find out whats causing the overboost. I'm guessing the controller is set just a bit too high and it keeps cutting out on you.

Gorezilla

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »

ok thanks alot ill try it and get back too you.