TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Does anyone know where the turbo oil drain is?  (Read 3132 times)

annie151

Does anyone know where the turbo oil drain is?
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

My car is still smoking and I am checking minor things before I would like to call it a head gasket leak or turbo going bad.  Nothing is wrong with my turbo...I have power.  It just smokes when idling (can't tell if it's white or blue - but it looks like the combination of the both)  I would like to check to see if the turbo oil drain system is restricted.  Does anyone know where this is?  
I had gotten this tip on a turbo information website "Blue oil smoke at idle. Defective turbo seals, excessive bearing wear, defective breather system or restricted turbo oil drain system"

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »

If you go under the car and look at the oil pan, there is a line leading to the bottom of the turbo.

If you mess with it be prepared to replace it because they are usually very brittle, and will crack/break

Have you checked the shaft play of the turbo? That would be a better place to start
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

annie151

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »

No I have not...how do I do that?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »

Take the inlet J-pipe off, reach into the turbo inlet and wiggle the nut back and forth and in and out. There should be a minute amount of side to side play and very little to no in/out play.

If there is a lot of side/side play, or if you can feel it hitting the edge of the housing, you can count on the turbo being shot
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"