TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 91 N/A engine problems  (Read 4065 times)

jsolve

91 N/A engine problems
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »

The engine will run perfect for a time then is will start to skip and run rough, when this occurs the tach jumps wildly as well as the temp gauge.  I have checked and re-checked every ground.  All plugs, wires, fuel filter, pvc, battery are new and well maintained.  I completely rebuilt the engine 3 years ago and we have put about 20,000 miles since with absolutely no problems, until a few months ago this problem started.  At first the symptoms would only occur once in a great while and only happen for a few seconds but now it happens regularly (every time we drive it). I have also replaced the ECU with no success.  

I think its time for 5 gallons of gas and a match!

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »

Hey Jay! Does this happen at an idle or during regular driving? I had a problem a couple of years ago with a temp sender that made the car fluctuate wildly when the car was at idle but I don't remember if at driving. Also recheck all the local grounds in the engine compartment. Gus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

I would say double and triple check your grounds, especially the one near your thermostat housing. Thats the ground for the distributor and the temp gauge sensor.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jsolve

91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »

Gus, Rocketman
It does happen during driving and sometimes its very severe.  I have checked and double checked all of the grounds, Cleaned and re-cleaned...Good thing I'm bald or I would have pulled all my hair out by now.  I have emailed Russ and I am going to switch out the distributor if he has one...I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your input!

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »

Hey Jay!  Need a photo! We need to compare hair lines and dimples. I'd be surprised if it's the dist. When you state that the car goes crazy along with the temp gauge going stupid indicates either that ground or a power line losing contact. I don't know of a common power line , just that ground at the thermostat.  Gus

Phillip

91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

Check the one at the VAF also. Hell go around the engine bay with an angle grinder with a scotch brite head on it and hit all of them. use a dab of conductive grease on the connection and you should get rid of the problem. This should be a must do on all these cars.

jsolve

91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

Guys,

Thank you all again for your input...I will recheck the grounds again, and get back to you all.

JJ

91 N/A engine problems
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

then there's always the weird things such as a broken wire in the harness or in the casing... did you verify both ends w/ a multimeter? almost sounds mechanical... like something is jarring it.