TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: diggin fer information  (Read 6808 times)

kelly270

• http://na
diggin fer information
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

Hi all-
Hey I was wondering about what the next logical step in making my XR2 run a little faster would be after chipping it. I am planning on buying a chipped ecu from the rocket man, after installing the new lifters. My engine has recently been over hauled, new rings, bearing , ect. Also wondering where to pick up some new injecters, seems like cork sport doesn't have them. Would new injecters be the next step? Also read on the forum about a  "wide spectrum" 02 sensor. I was sreiously tghjnking about painting my rig, but now think that the $1000.00 might be better spent on the motor. Approx how may extra horses would the $1000 buy me?
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
diggin fer information
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

well there are so many ways to go about it...to me it seems like you want to go more fuel route first..i went the other way. I installed a FMIC and 2.5 Cat Back Exhaust running factory boost and it is night and day. car pulls so much harder now and has power all the way through the RPMs. i say make it breath better first. then go with what you are thinking. i stopped there because i am focusing on the looks of the car right now because i stepped into a sweet deal on a 94. my next move was to get the AEM Tru Boost Gauge/controller and raise the boost to about 12. then get the rocketchip and wideband 02 and raise the boost to 15. then i was gonna get all the other monitor gauges. final step would be a 14b or 16g and run 16psi with upgraded fuel pump and injectors. upgrade coil and all at that time as well. maybe cam gears and hope the motor will not go boom...

my 2 cents
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

icurunnin

diggin fer information
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »

if you are going to keep the stock turbo for a little while you might want to grab the f.a.s.t. 3">1.5" aluminum reducer, vaf adapter, and cone filter to help get more air in. All that should run you about $100 depending on what type of vaf adapter and filter you run.

then some 390cc fuel injectors. I bought mine for $40 and all new orings for $25. Its the best way to know you will have the fuel you need to max out the stock turbo and not go BOOM. So you figure $75 and your injectors are done.

next would be a wideband air/fuel gauge. The best out there is the innovate 3795 (blue display) or the 3796 (red display). Type in "wideband shootout" in google and it will pull up the test of all the big name widebands out there. Innovate took the cake and aem uego came in 2nd. biggest negative of the uego is the response time. it was 300ms slower than the innovate which is not a good thing when tunning.

think about a nice flowing 2.5" exhaust from turbo back. I plan to go get a quote on a guy locally who does mandrel bends and see what a real exhaust setup is going to run. 90% all run crush bent which is better than stock, but doesnt give you the full flow of what your buying.

after that would be intercooler and piping.
then either a hybrid turbo or new manifold and a real turbo.

thats my .02
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
diggin fer information
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »

Hey Kelly! You ask a group of ten people a technical question and you get ten different answers. Anyway up til my answer you're getting at least similar answers. Get your Rocket-chip, then a boost controller, then get a larger exhaust from the down-pipe back including cat-converter. I have 21/2 inch have the tip peeking out the middle of the back bumper. With those mods and the boost controlled at 15-16lbs your car will amaze you. If your car tends to get out of control while accellerating in first and second gears then install a strut brace and have your suspension aligned at a tire shop. I would recommend a wide band AFR gauge to keep track of your fuel ratio while hot footin it. If the ratios are lean then you want to do other things to fatten the mix. Inquire about other things after doing these or watch the forum as others comment or question others.  Good Luck! Gus.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
diggin fer information
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »

you know what...come to think about it..that strut brace is a big difference. i remember having my capri back in the day and the over steer was a lot. now it hardly turns under acceleration
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

kelly270

diggin fer information
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

All good stuff, thanks guys. Already got the strut brace, and brand new front struts. I will check out the price of a decent exhaust system, 2 1/2 back from the turbo? And ask about a cat back muffler? Where can I pick up the injectors.
Hey ghost, what is a FMIC?
Hey Gus, thanks for all your input, it is apprecaited.?
ICU, I'm runnin' at least a K N cleaner with holes drilled in the stack case it help the air flow, you recommend more?
I am green on turbos and really take whatever info posted, ask my mechanic friends and will run with whatever seems like the best. I got an OK deal on my XR2, shit it is like new inside and out, been really taken care of. Its got 190,000 miles, but has been taken care of and whatever even looked slightly worn has been replaced or made good as new! All the bolts have been replaced ,shit, the bottom of the car looks like a car with 20 or 30,000 miles. All the car does.
Later
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

icurunnin

diggin fer information
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

Check out my setup in my build thread in the Photographs section. It was right at $100 and will out flow and swiss cheese box you make with the stock intake. You can really hear the turbo spool nice and loud with it.
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
diggin fer information
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

hey fred, go back and check out the shootout again bud...look at the fine print about who sponsored the shootout...i think you may find the answer a bit more decieving... the wideband shootout your refering to was sponsored by innovate... of course the innovate unit is gonna be the front runner... they paid for it....

now as for the reaction speed of the widebands
the actual difference is faster than the eye can see the only time you can see the difference is when data logging. and your laptop can notice the difference... but as for the speed of the wideband for tuning??? very neglegeable...
you also didnt mention the ease of setup of both units the innovate along with the plx devices and most others use a controller box, a guage and harnesses... the AEM uses an integrated guage and controller making setup a breeze..all you have is the guage, a power/datalogging harness.. and an o2 harness and sensor...
 aem is trying to ease all there products and make installs easier.. including the AEM tru boost guage and controller in one.. there again everything is built into the guage...

now with that being said.. the innovate is a nice unit and is very friendly for honda users that are running hondata or chrome..(where there "tuning" with a laptop or standalone with datalogging) but for us, the wideband will be used for monitoring.... there the ease of setup and less complexity of the AEM is much nicer...

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
diggin fer information
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »

as for kellys question....the stock 300cc injectors are fine for the stock turbo or even a vj14/11 hybrid....

ebay has everything from widebands to intercoolers to hard pipes....

if youve got a chip, the next step is a Manual Boost Controller or "MBC" for short.. then an intercooler.. or FMIC (front mount inter cooler)
hard pipes or aluminum pipes from turbo to intercooler and from intercooler to throttle body... you want something better than the stock airbox with some holes.. trust me... and exhaust 2.5 inch pipe to a highflow muffler of your choice....

those things alone will put a grin on your face...

then a fuel pump...

plug wires... good ngk or denso plugs....

a boost guage...

thats gonna be about your 1000 bucks....

MBC- 75.00 + -

boost guage- 100.00 + -

FMIC-100.00 + -

hard pipes-100.00

VAM adaptor and cone filter-50.00

exhaust at a muffler shop- 300.00

walbro fuel pump-100.00

plug wires and some good plugs 75.00

then add shipping and sales tax and youve spent your 1,000.00 budget with a little money for a tank of premium gas you now have to run...

this setup will have your capri running close to what a 4.6 litre mustang runs stock... maybe a little quicker....

220hp@18psi

kelly270

diggin fer information
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

Hey ric-good stuff, fer sure. I went to the exhaust guy here in town today and he quoted me right at $500 to run 2 1/2 piping from the turbo back. That include a new cat and free flow muffler. Is that decent or what, also, what should I tell him about keeping it free flowing, any pointer on what to tell dude? If I decide to do it. The reason i'm asking is you said $300 in your quote. Thanks

Kelly270
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

kelly270

diggin fer information
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

one more thought, I have been running premium in it, somehow I thought it might possibly, hopefully improve my mileage! What a fool I was.
Am I the only one who gets horrible gas mileage? My 92 na got screamin' mileage, almost as good as my storm! Shoot over 300 a tank in the na, my xr2 is lucky to get 225! Glad prices are down!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
diggin fer information
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »

Hey Kelly! I paid $400 two years ago here in Cali. Gost ,I believe was quoted $300 in Arizona earlier this year. Check with a couple of guys as I'm told a couple of months ago $300-$340 for another capri. Gus

kelly270

diggin fer information
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

cool gus, thanks. I'll check around, not to many places here in town, 2 I think. I was just checking out AEM VEGO wideband senors online. Kind of a trip when you really don't know alot about turbos. It's hard navagating around the web looking. I am really looking for a controller, that comes with intall info, you know, pictures and arrows always helped me!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

kelly270

diggin fer information
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

Hey this Rocket J pipe the rocketman is selling, do they help out on the intake or what, they got good reviews. I'm wondering if I should order one at the same time as the rocket chip?
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

GregZ

diggin fer information
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

Kelly, go to the closest mexican muffler shop. I only paid 60 bucks for my 2 1/2 inch turbo back with a perferated core glass pack! Plus mexican mufler shops will usually remove the cat from the exhaust run if you want therm to which increases the free-flowing nature of your exhaust.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

Pages: [1] 2