TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: Getting to know the members  (Read 199034 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Getting to know the members
« Reply #435 on: October 15, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »

I am located in Pennsylvania, about halfway between Allentown and Harrisburg. I will do my best to document the process. I am still in the planning stages, I have ideas I want to hash out and want to gather pieces before starting and I do not want to do things twice. Basically this car to me is unfinished business from years ago, it want fast "back in the day" and I want to show the kiddies that old stuff is/was fast and old guys can drive. Let me just say, my step-daughter has a Mini Cooper S that needs to be taught a lesson.

You go dude, a couple hundred horsepower is possible but a handfull.
Jack Byrd

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #436 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »

I am well aware of the power these cars can produce with just a few upgrades like a free flowing exhaust, valve controller and adjustable cam sprockets. I went 13.73 and 100 @ Maple Grove Raceway. I also autocrossed the car, since I had also upgraded the wheels/tires and suspension, it surprised lots of people. It was a handful, torque steer is a real thing, but so much fun. I basically want to make a replica of my old car, my 323/Capri friend still had my old 15" wheels among other things. I plan on upgrading a few other things as well. I do not plan on making it a race car but a street car that can be fun.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #437 on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:27 PM »

I am well aware of the power these cars can produce with just a few upgrades like a free flowing exhaust, valve controller and adjustable cam sprockets. I went 13.73 and 100 @ Maple Grove Raceway. I also autocrossed the car, since I had also upgraded the wheels/tires and suspension, it surprised lots of people. It was a handful, torque steer is a real thing, but so much fun. I basically want to make a replica of my old car, my 323/Capri friend still had my old 15" wheels among other things. I plan on upgrading a few other things as well. I do not plan on making it a race car but a street car that can be fun.

cool

Jack Byrd

John Harrison

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2021, 02:21:00 PM »

1.Name — John Harrison

2. Location — Sandwich, MA

3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it?

Just got a 1991 XR2 with 34K miles. Another great car Mercury dealers did not understand or sell. And yes, I once owned a Merkur too. Got the Capri with my son as a fun-to-drive convertible (summer on the Cape!) and maybe something we could do some work on. It’s already pretty good, but would just like to get it back to original as practical. My son really liked the design and having something unusual.

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?

Good Lord, what a question. So many great cars — 1939 Cord, 1963 Avanti, 911, McLaren F1…
Easier to get my head around is what would a dream daily driver be? Maybe an Audi R8 Spyder? Boxter?

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)

Easy. The original concept was sound, if not fully followed through. Ford has the parts to do it now and with little new development. Start with a Ford Fiesta or Focus ST. Both already two great handling FWD cars. Cut the roof off, canvas top OK, but I do like a removable hard top for winter.  Add a few more HP and optional RS AWD for those insisting on having powered rear wheels. Get a great stylist to do the body. Done. An alternative would be to take the GM Fiero approach, mount the ST/RS front drive train in the back to create a mid-engine roadster. Perhaps better, but much more engineering work and likely much more expensive. Price does matter.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #439 on: November 04, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »

Glad to meet you, glad you found this thread. Welcome to the community.
Jack Byrd

Jonzcj7

• 93 N/A Capri, 84 Jeep CJ7, 2015 Xterra
« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2022, 10:14:56 AM »

1.Name — Michael Jones
2. Location — Winchester VA
     I have always been into oddball cars that are not as mainstream as Mustangs or Corvettes. Always liked the Capri for the leg room. I got my Capri in trade for a motor and a truck bed. Had a 2001 F150 with a bad frame, cab, and electrical gremlins. Could not sell it so I change my ad to looking for trade only good parts are the bed and engine. A gentleman sent me pictures of a Green 93 NA Manual that he bought for his wife but she never drove it. It had been parked for 3 years in a barn.   Got it home and took the hardtop off and it had a brand new soft top already installed.

I have flushed all the fluids and replaced the stuck calipers and a bad temp sensor. She is fun to drive, zippy on the back roads and always a conversation starter. The only issue I have now is rough idle (IAC needs help) and it feels like the RPMS are to high at 65; 4000 to be exact.
   That is a really long list, but the top three would be a Ferrari Daytona, Lancia Stratos, and Lada Niva 4x4

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hardtop, engine, etc.)

Update the styling just a bit on the inside, keep the same body line. Make the soft top go down on its own. Performance-wise give it a better motor with an option to have it FWD or AWD. 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:28 AM »

Greetings, welcome to the community. Sounds like you got a good deal there and an unusual color. Probably right about the high idle problem. I started out with an N/A, then found out about the XR2. Another 30HP makes for a lot more fun. Now I have three....lol Be careful, it's a disease.
Jack Byrd

Andotron

• 1991 Capri NA
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2022, 02:32:22 AM »

Hi everyone,

My name is Dave, I live in Melbourne Australia.  Actually not too far from the old Ford factory that built our Capris.
I bought my '91 N/A Capri because I wanted a fun, affordable project car.  She definitely hasn't disappointed.
It's funny, Capris aren't very well loved here in Australia.  They are regarded as bit of a lemon, which is completely unfair if you ask me.
Still, I'm not complaining - it keeps their prices down.

My dream car would be a DeLorean or 1984 Pontiac Firebird - yes I'm a child if the '80's!

hmmm new upgrades? maybe a power soft top and AWD.

PS I love this forum and was pretty gutted when it wasn't working.
I've done a lot of work on this car which would've been impossible without this resource.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2022, 09:57:31 AM »

Welcome to the community, happy to see another that appreciates these little cars.
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2022, 10:24:31 AM »

Welcome to the community Dave.  Unfortunately the Capris had a tainted reputation in the US as well.  We have 2 of them....a 94 NA that I bought for my wife new and a 94 XR2 that I bought about 5 years ago. 

John
John

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2022, 10:51:34 PM »

1.Name
-Shane
2.Location
-Chillicothe, Ohio
-Owned one as a teenager and hopefully tomorrow picking up my 2nd one as a fun project 91 xr2 108k.  I like the lightweight convertible platform.
-Either Ferrari F40 or a 91 Lotus Esprit Turbo
5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)
-Soft top twin turbo 2.0L AWD 2-seater maybe?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »

Welcome, good luck in your search. There are several for sale on FB right now.
Jack Byrd

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built
« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2022, 11:43:14 AM »

Welcome, good luck in your search. There are several for sale on FB right now.

Thanks that is where I found this one and plan to pick it up this evening!

Richard Menard

• 1991 Mercury Capri base
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2023, 08:36:17 PM »

Hi, my name is Richard, I live in Waco Tx.  I bought my 91 Capri (base) as a barn find Sep 2022.  Have replaced the fuel tank and pump, rear struts and brakes.  Front end coming.  The car is clean and complete, including the optional hard top.  I remember seeing these years ago and never really thought that much about them. (fyi I am a 72yo kid). I have my car entered in the local car show in March 23.  It no way show car ready, but will be the only one there.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2023, 08:52:39 AM »

Welcome Richard, I'm a 75yo kid who discovered them late also. Back in the day my neighbor had one and I thought it was cute.  Be careful it's an addiction. Sounds like you have a good start there. I took one of mine to a Miata meet one time and got a lot of interest. Back here in NC we also have combined Festiva/Capri meets.
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31