TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Getting to know the members  (Read 160748 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Getting to know the members
« Reply #435 on: October 15, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »

I am located in Pennsylvania, about halfway between Allentown and Harrisburg. I will do my best to document the process. I am still in the planning stages, I have ideas I want to hash out and want to gather pieces before starting and I do not want to do things twice. Basically this car to me is unfinished business from years ago, it want fast "back in the day" and I want to show the kiddies that old stuff is/was fast and old guys can drive. Let me just say, my step-daughter has a Mini Cooper S that needs to be taught a lesson.

You go dude, a couple hundred horsepower is possible but a handfull.
Jack Byrd

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #436 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »

I am well aware of the power these cars can produce with just a few upgrades like a free flowing exhaust, valve controller and adjustable cam sprockets. I went 13.73 and 100 @ Maple Grove Raceway. I also autocrossed the car, since I had also upgraded the wheels/tires and suspension, it surprised lots of people. It was a handful, torque steer is a real thing, but so much fun. I basically want to make a replica of my old car, my 323/Capri friend still had my old 15" wheels among other things. I plan on upgrading a few other things as well. I do not plan on making it a race car but a street car that can be fun.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #437 on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:27 PM »

I am well aware of the power these cars can produce with just a few upgrades like a free flowing exhaust, valve controller and adjustable cam sprockets. I went 13.73 and 100 @ Maple Grove Raceway. I also autocrossed the car, since I had also upgraded the wheels/tires and suspension, it surprised lots of people. It was a handful, torque steer is a real thing, but so much fun. I basically want to make a replica of my old car, my 323/Capri friend still had my old 15" wheels among other things. I plan on upgrading a few other things as well. I do not plan on making it a race car but a street car that can be fun.

cool

Jack Byrd

John Harrison

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2021, 02:21:00 PM »

1.Name — John Harrison

2. Location — Sandwich, MA

3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it?

Just got a 1991 XR2 with 34K miles. Another great car Mercury dealers did not understand or sell. And yes, I once owned a Merkur too. Got the Capri with my son as a fun-to-drive convertible (summer on the Cape!) and maybe something we could do some work on. It’s already pretty good, but would just like to get it back to original as practical. My son really liked the design and having something unusual.

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?

Good Lord, what a question. So many great cars — 1939 Cord, 1963 Avanti, 911, McLaren F1…
Easier to get my head around is what would a dream daily driver be? Maybe an Audi R8 Spyder? Boxter?

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)

Easy. The original concept was sound, if not fully followed through. Ford has the parts to do it now and with little new development. Start with a Ford Fiesta or Focus ST. Both already two great handling FWD cars. Cut the roof off, canvas top OK, but I do like a removable hard top for winter.  Add a few more HP and optional RS AWD for those insisting on having powered rear wheels. Get a great stylist to do the body. Done. An alternative would be to take the GM Fiero approach, mount the ST/RS front drive train in the back to create a mid-engine roadster. Perhaps better, but much more engineering work and likely much more expensive. Price does matter.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #439 on: November 04, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »

Glad to meet you, glad you found this thread. Welcome to the community.
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]