TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: Getting to know the members  (Read 198982 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Getting to know the members
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:05 AM »

1. Name
Nathan

2. Location
New Zealand

3. Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it?
Turbo goes whoosh, Lights go up, top goes down.

4. If money were no object, what would your dream car be?
Ultima GTR or a Merc-Mclaren SLR

5. What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again?
Basically a sport-styled Fiesta St Convertible.

Since this is my first post, I should introduce myself. 34 yo, First Capri, Picking it up tomorrow, immaculate '91 Turbo(Sold as Ford Capri over here). Goal for the car is to drive it till the end of the year and then take it to the NZ B6T expert for 300Hp and a slightly more track oriented suspension/chassis setup. Probably with a Toyota gearbox and LSD.

Pics tomorrow when I get back from my 24 hours journey to pick it up.

I'm assuming you guys got them in NZ? I don't think I've seen any NZ members here. Sound like you are in the right place for your plans, Yota gearbox is serious.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

crshbndct

• None till tomorrow
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »

I'm assuming you guys got them in NZ? I don't think I've seen any NZ members here. Sound like you are in the right place for your plans, Yota gearbox is serious.

Yeah we did. I paid $800NZ(About $600US) for mine, since they are not very common or well known, but there are plenty of them for sale. The people who buy them tend to be older and not really into cars, they just get them because MX-5/Eunos Roadster/Miata are too expensive, and they want some top down cruising, or just got mistaken and meant to buy the MX-5.

I have 2 BG8R 323's here, one with a spun bearing, Toyota e153 LSD box and Mitsubishi rear diff, and another with a perfect stock Engine, but decidedly subpar drivetrain, so I am thinking of parting them and selling the shells and interiors and anything that doesnt go into the Capri, and attempting a AWD swap like you did with a Built BPT. I will probably PM you at some point to find out more about how you did the rear of the car(diff mounts, did you just swap the subframe, etc).

I personally prefer the B6T to the BPT though, since I have had about 7 cars with B6Ts and know them really well. I have built several 250-300HP B6Ts and absolutely love how strong they are made, and how little work is required for a reliable 300HP with great economy.

One thing I am definitely going to do is extensive chassis stiffening, suspension and brakes. I like my cars to have a really stiff chassis, and I am not sure how good the Capris are in this regard. But more is always better I think. I am lucky in that there are literally 1000s of BF and BG awd and FWD turbo 323s in NZ, and parts for them are easy to come by.

My Capri has 95K Miles, and I am buying it from the 1st Owner, who got it when she was 56 and is no longer able to drive. I am not even sure she was aware it was turbocharged, but I do know that it has been serviced by Ford at the dealership she bought it from the whole time. I feel slightly bad getting it so cheap, since her son is the one who is selling it for her, and he took some absolutely awful pictures of it, the shot of the exterior is one that showed the only external damage to the paint on the spoiler, and everyone bidding on the auction mistook it for rust and didn't bid. I had a friend of mine go look at it for me and he reported it as being near perfect condition.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

Greetings, I bought my Capri Wednesday and haven't picked it up yet.  It isn't running and I hope I can get some help from the forum.

1.Jack Byrd

2.Mount Airy(Mayberry), NC

3.First became interested in Capri though my interest in Festiva's(got Capri brakes for it) and it's springtime.  What better time to buy a convertible?

4.1957 Studebaker Hawk

5.As the 1.6 Capri engine seems to be a good engine for the Festiva, I'm guessing the Capri should have at least a 1.8L.

Currently, my car isn't running and I've already ordered a new fuel pump, however, there is blue wire with stripped insulation in the wiring harness right behind the battery that isn't attached to anything.  They are no blue wires anywhere in nearby plugs to attach it to.  Wonder if this could be a problem.

Thanks for your assistance and let me know if this isn't the appropriate place to ask the question,  Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Capri-guy

• 1994 Capri N/A & '86/'98 Saab 9000
« Reply #348 on: July 21, 2014, 07:13:58 AM »

1.Name
Piet-Hein

2.Location
Hilversum, The Netherlands

3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it?
bc the opportunity occured, it was cheap (€500), and Saab Convertibles are too heavy to have as a 3rd/fun car. what i like: the uniqueness: there are only 68 of 'em in The Netherlands, of which i have one of the 3 reef green ones. i haven't driven it yet, because it failed the annual test on the exhaust fumes (CO was too high, so it needs a new catalyst)

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?
Citroën DS décapotable

and/or

DeLorean DMC12

i know, they're not very practical in daily use...

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)
maybe change the headlights, and put a more powerful yet fuel efficient engine in.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:18:22 AM by Capri-guy »
1994 Mercury Capri 1.6 16v, reef green 173k mi.
1998 Saab 9000CSE 2.0t LPT Anniversary Scarab green 203k mi.
1986 Saab 9000CC 2.0i Odoardo grey, 153k km.

Jolls

• 93 XR2
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2014, 06:18:29 AM »

Name: Jolls (Craig)
Location: Murrumbateman NSW, Australia - a little one pub town 50km (30 m) from Canberra.
PResent for the wife's birthday - but really so we can tour the good parts of Oz; including the wineries around here and the Hunter Valley.
Why: The XR2 was in pretty good condition, pulls like a teenager and like most chicks looks good topless!
What do I like best about it: Chewing up the miles on the way to somewhere good - the trip is the destination.
If money were no object, what would your dream car be: Probably won't mean much unless your an Aussie - but a 1964 EH ute with 327 Chev to push her along.
If they made it again: 3 litre turbo, soft top with hard top conversion for winter, with somewhere to put the coffee.

I'll have to get a picture up later.

Cheers and Beers

Craig

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »

Name: Dave
Why: Like it.

I owned this car years ago. When I purchased it back then, there was impact damage to the left rear wing. I repaired the damage and had a cheap respray done.  I recently re-purchased the car and brought it into the USA. Paperwork was a nightmare with US customs.
It's a lot of fun, easy on fuel, fast. I get lots of compliments wherever I go.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:55:31 AM by belleaudb »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »

Nice! What country did you import it from?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »

nice X2
Jack Byrd

Snigalfriz

• 1991 NA Capri
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »

1. Daniel
2. Round Rock, Tx
3. I wanted a "toy" convertible.  It is fun to drive.
4. A convertible Ford GT-40  8)
5. A mid engine (supercharged v8) retractable top convertible
Why? I have more time than money, that's why I work on this car!

1991 Mercury Capri 5-sp
1992 Mercury Capri 5-sp swap
1999 Ford Contour SE 24v v6
2003 Lincoln LS
2007 Saturn Outlook XE AWD
2014 Chevy Cruze LT

aw2oban

• 66 Stang, 92 xr2 (x2),01 F250 7.3, 03 CVPI CNG
« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »

1.Name - Ethan

2.Location - Southern California

3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it? - I had test driven one my senior year of high school (1991) and thought it would be a really fun car to own but refused to have a car payment.....I guess I waited long enough I didn't have to make payments when I bought the car for $2000  :)

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?  Tough call.....My friends laugh at me because I have made the statement that I would rather have 5 $5000 cars than one $25,000 car......I currently have ....
1966 Mustang that I bought when I was 16
1992 Mercury Capri xr2 (2 of them)(obviously or I wouldn't be here)
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab Diesel 7.3L with a 6-speed manual
2002 Ford Excursion Diesel 7.3L (Wife's Grocery Getter)
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor CNG
2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
I guess with a gun to my head I would have to flip a coin between three opposites......
     a.    Factory Stock 1966 AC Cobra (low miles of course)
     b.    4x4 7.3L powered Sportsmobile
     c.     Diesel Pusher RV (maybe a mid-engine) Newmar All-Star like vehicle

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)
     a.    Retractable Hardtop with a motor
     b.    50/50 Weight Distribution
     c.    Sound of a 60's musclecar (settle for similar to current Dodge Challenger SRT8)
     d.    Nice tight fitting look to the wheel wells but plenty of space to play with different tire sizes.
     e.    Similar pop-up headlights but some sort of LED touch similar to the more expensive cars of today.
     f.     Optional Rally Car model with higher ground clearance for those of us with bad joints when we cannot get out of our current ones.
     g.    Optional value model with a small diesel engine that gets 45 MPG yet is faster than our early 90's xr2.

Sorry I had to modify it....went to offer to purchase a hard top from one I had seen.....ending up taking the whole car so now I have two 1992 XR2's
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:03:22 PM by aw2oban »

david.sirota

• 1993 Capri
« Reply #355 on: December 24, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

Name - David

Location - Potwin, Kansas. NE of Wichita

I bought my '93 Capri N/A because it is about half the price of a Miata

I would like a nice 1st. gen. Miata,  1st. gen. MR2, and Fiero

So far the only thing I do not like is that it is noisy with the top down at speed

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »

1.Name
2.Location

1. Derrick
2. buffalo new york
3. i bought my 91 capri not knowing what it was. It only cost me 500 bucks and it was a little red convertible so i thought why the hell not? When i got it home about 50 miles away, i found some rust and all the calipers were locked up from sitting and it needed a new top and i didnt care because i was excited. I fell in love with this car before i even drove it. It was quirky and i own an 84 rabbit so i like quirky lol. but the fact that i finally owned a convertible is what made it great in my opinion. Also its powered by mazda and mazda is awesome.
4. probably an 80s or older porshe 911 as they still had air cooled flat 6's and no body else did it. also rear engined(not mid engined) rear wheel drive ever since they came out and they handle amazingly. Its that kind of ingenuity i love in a car and the 80s ones just look so retro and pretty. the 911 is just a great sports car.
5. twin turbo, rotary, rwd, aluminum chassis, stiffness. Thats about it lol

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #357 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this question so here it is.
1.Name
2.Location

1. Ron Mitchell
2. Evensville, TN though thinking of retiring in FL where I've been most of the winter.
3. I had a '73 in high school and a' 74 in the army. I didn't even know they made these in the 90s. 90s were kind of a blur lol. Scoping CL out I seen one and just had to have it. I wanted a convertible fwd, good on gas to pull behind my RV. This car fit the bill without breaking the wallet before I started working on it, lol.
4. Bugatti Veyron
5. Rwd with a peppier turbo 4 cylinder. Retractable hardtop, cup holder, full body kit with the hint of the 1973 body style.

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »

1. Dave Smith
2. Rochester Hills, MI
3. I always thought the Capri was a fun, quirky, unique car.  Living around Detroit, I remember seeing a lot of them in the early 90s.  Then they quickly disappeared.  I was into Mustangs at the time and forgot about the Capri.  A few years ago I was scanning CraigsList and saw a few Capris for sale at an attractive price.  I zeroed in on a Capri from South Carolina and had it trucked to my driveway.  The most attractive thing is that the Capri is a good looking, unique looking, rare car that is a convertible with a back seat so my girls can sit in it.  I don't care that it's not a race car and not RWD.  If I wanted a car with those features, I'd buy a different car.  Searching for parts makes it fun.  But without this forum, I know I'd be more frustrated.
4. Aston Martin DBS
5. I like the Capri the way it is, with all its warts and pimples.  I especially like the manual roof and the process of putting it up and down.  My dad used to work for Ford and made a visit to the assembly plant in Australia in the early 90s.  He saw the way they tested the roof durability - 2 guys putting the roof up and down for their entire shift.  Yikes!  I wouldn't want to do that all day.

Btown

• 1992 turbo clubsprint x 2
« Reply #359 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:32 AM »

1.Name
Bernard. Town
2.Location
Coffs Harbour, east coast of Australia
Wanted a toy to play with
New GT mustang
AWD, 2.0l turbo, retractable hard top.
1992 Clubsprint x 3
Lowered, stiffened, boosted, chipped, fun
Daily Drive, 5.0 MY17 GT Ruby Red Mustang
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31