TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: first start up help.  (Read 5714 times)

GregZ

first start up help.
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:33:00 AM »

i started my car for the first time last night and i can really hear the lifters but as i start it more and more it slowly gets softer (the sound) is this normal for a freshly rebuilt motor? also when i took it out last night as i reved it past 3500 rpm it backfired is that normal? the timing is right on but the timing is only advanced 10 degrees. i think 12 is stock on the xr2's and i am now running premium all the time. What should the timing be? other than that i am very pleased with the end result i will post pictures on my build thread soon.

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

kelly270

• http://na
first start up help.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »

greg- just thought I'd tell you, I just replaced the lifters, HLA's, in my car less than 400 miles ago and they still kind of clatter. Makes me mad, I'm running straight 30 wieght in it also. I got 4 quarts of full synthetic for the next change.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
first start up help.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

i did the same thing i changed the lifter and after about a month of driving it start making lifter chater and i mean like a rod was knockin so i toke it apart start the top down and i have 6 bad lifter out of a brand new set in just a month they went bad  grrr still have not got the money to buy new lifter  there like under 400 local.... and i run 10-30 oil

GregZ

first start up help.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »

also the turbo spools very quickly, compared to what im used to. it spools 8 pounds at like 3500 rpm. (tbird hybrid) is that normal?
91 xr2 (SOLD)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

The B6T really likes Mobil 1 15w-50. I have had those issues over the years and this oil always seems to quiet them down. The stock VJ14 is usually all in at 2500-2800 at that boost level. The T-Bird won't come on that quick but 3500 is not out of the question.
Clay
s

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »

And the fact that you uare using the VJ11 turbine housing(P20) of course you kick in at a higher rpm...it is bigger. Might have wanted to stay with the VJ14 housing (P12). Ultimately the best would be the  VJ16 housing (P15) if you could find one.
Clay

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
first start up help.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »

the only real problem with a vj14 hotside (p-12) is that the flow out is restrictive...
 a vj11 is bigger and will spool a bit slower but running a t-bird compressor id run at least a p-20 hotside..
to disperse all the exhaust that the t bird compressor is pushing in... its a game of give and take... thare are ways to reduce boost lag later after its up and running correctly...

you can see the size of the exhaust hole after the turbine wheel in this pic... the idea is to match the flow you will need with the spool you want... another thing to remember is the size of the W/G hole... its so tiny on the vj-14 that at higher boost levels, the compressor will create more airflow than the W/G can get rid of... this causes severe boost creep at the top end...the tiny hole can only bypass so much air before it can flow no more.. and the remaining air must pass over the turbine wheel, and spools the turbo past the set boost pressure (creep, spike)....  

shrinking up the hard pipes from say a 2.5 to a 2in from the turbo to the intercooler will spool up about 500rpm faster...the less area the turbo must fill with air, before creating usable boost
thus reducing lag...

running a recircing BOV will drop the lag very signifigantly between shifts... almost like thare is no lag at all between shifts...
this effect is exaggerated the bigger the turbo you run...

also, 12*, the sweet spot in our timing is 12*...
13* and you will lose up top.. 10* and you lose spool and torque... 12 is the best timing for any B6t with whatever turbo your running...
ive tried everything from 8* to 15* thares just something about 12* that it likes... i think the dist. is setup for 12* and anything else and your messing with its perameters...

220hp@18psi

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

Opening up the WG hole on the 14/11 hybrids definetly takes care of the creep...should be ok with the tbird. I have thrown out all the vj11 housings I had (cracks) but I seem to remember that the WG's were the same as the vj14's.
Clay

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »

they are... but the flow is higher after the turbine.. porting the W/G hole will get rid of the creep...(ive done this on a vj14/11 hybrid)
but its flow will restrict the t-bird compressor..
 hell a p20 is actually restrictive for a t bird compressor...
 a t-bird is almost as big as a 14b
as far as flow .. and look at the difference in the vj14 and the 14b above... as far as area the tdo5h and p20 are almost the same, and spool is very similar... but the size of the outlet after the much larger wheel on the tdo5h is what makes this turbo move air and make power..
 its actually large enough that the 16g 18g 20g use the same tdo5h exhaust housing and wheel, just with a larger compressor...

220hp@18psi

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »

Dumping into a 2.5 down pipe and getting rid of the stock elbow should take care of most of the problem I would think.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »

Like this

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »

this is not the restriction...

this and....

this are..

but in that pics case, the biggest restriction is the silver stock tube to the throttle body...
with that in place, the turbo isnt going to push enough air to override a turbos hotside...

220hp@18psi

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »

So really we all need to get rid of the IHI's if we want big power????

GregZ

first start up help.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »

i still really need some suggestions on why the motor is backfireing under load...
91 xr2 (SOLD)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
first start up help.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »

plug wires...what kind are you using?
Pages: [1] 2