TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: starter problem  (Read 3688 times)

Allan

starter problem
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

Here's a problem with the starter on my Capri.  When the car is completely warmed up and I stop somewhere for 10-15 minutes then try to start I got one click and nothing else.  Hit the key 2 or 3 times more and finally the starter kicks in just fine.  My mechanic said it was probably a flat spot on the armature, so I bought a new (not rebuilt) starter and had it installed.  I still have the same problem--when the car is warmed up I (not always, but usually) get just a click and after several tries it kicks in fine.  I don't think both starters could have a flat spot so does anyone have any other ideas as to what could cause this to happen?  Many thanks for any suggestions. PS: This never happens when the engine is cold.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
starter problem
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

That's interesting, I'd guess it's getting poor power when everything's warmed up. Check the power & ground leads to it:

Clean & check the battery terminals
Clean & check the engine grounds -

The major one is on top of the transmission, follow the negative battery lead down to the trans, pull apart, clean it.

There's also a black ground wire over by the dipstick area of the head.

There's also a braided ground strap off the back corner of the head under the PCV valve area. Clean & check these as well
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

starter problem
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »

R-man makes some good points.

Flat spots in the starter usually will cause it to remain inoperative until the starter actually is moved.  Weak power to the solenoid could be your problem.

Check your battery, make sure its up to snuff.  Low volts can still normally start the car, but not let things like solenoids be reliable.

If your car is automatic, try starting the car in NEUTRAL when hot.  If that makes a difference (this is a reach) then the position switch may be going bad.

Check the connector that plugs into the starter, should be clean, and the wire connection to the connector undamaged.

Chris

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
starter problem
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »

I have the same thing going on with the Hardbody truck I picked up. Pretty sure it is the starter on my truck.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcdraco

starter problem
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

Just so you know I currently have the EXACT same problem, except it doesn't click at all.  I narrowed it down to a defective starter, since my old starter didn't do this at all.  Luckily for me my rebuilt starter has a lifetime warranty just need me to have the patience to remove it.

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
starter problem
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »

i'm having this problem on rare occasions the past couple of weeks.
i have bad battery clamps where i just can't get them really tight on the battery posts.
until i replace the clamps, i'm living with it.. i've even stuck extra metal (nalis) in the clamps to try for a tighter fit.
omgimluvit