TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Shorten the Capri  (Read 9867 times)

Mort

Shorten the Capri
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »

I know it sounds stupid, you might want to tell me just to go buy another car.  What do you think would be the ramifications and issues of cutting the 1991 Capri body so that the entire backseat section is eliminated?  Since I have a hardtop, I guess I would have to also cut a section out of the middle of the top to fit again.  Just thought how nice it would be to eliminate the backseat since it is really a back package tray than a people carrying seat.  And possibly share a parking space with a Smart car.

Just wondering and seeking opinions.  Thanks.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Shorten the Capri
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »

Hey, I'm all about the "dare to be different" thing!!  I say if you have the skills, and funds to embark on such a project - go for it!!  Dopn't worry about what other people say - it's YOUR project!!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

JayPHedges

Shorten the Capri
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »

Big project.

But Very cool idea.

fayzaldean

Shorten the Capri
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »

hell yeah brother!!! go for it i think it would be awesome!!! it would look like a hot wheels toy

spiro

• http://N/a
Shorten the Capri
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »

Interesting, hey try doing a "photoshop" version first to see what its going to look like, and post it on here...

Regards,  
spiro - 1989 SA Ford Capri

yen

Shorten the Capri
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

sounds like a big money project, very interesting idea
you'd need a different chassis and the hardtop wont fit anymore. it would deffinitely be something different!
but i would not recommend cutting then welding the original frame.

alternatively you can get the roadster hood, that would eliminate the rear seat, or even an over grown speaker box to sit on the rear seats
i think some of the appeal of the capri is that it looks long without being physically long (especially after lowering it). but thats not saying that it would not look good otherwise
tell us how it goes
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

Timmygt

Shorten the Capri
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »

I would not trust cutting a car in half just to eliminate the back seat!!! but that's just me, what I would do instead in just remove the back seat and make a "rear seat delete" like what they put into mustangs and other coupes. also with shorting the car your performance might suffer and ruin the handling that a lot of us love about these cars.

when I was younger I removed my back seat and installed a sub box in its place. I even used the seat latch so I could remove the box with my key but still be secure when I left the top down.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Shorten the Capri
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

i am doing a similar thing but i have a bubble cove..see my pics on my cars post
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible