TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: new to forum.. headlight problems  (Read 3081 times)

naptime

• http://www.toledotees.com
new to forum.. headlight problems
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »

hi all. i am new to the forum. as well as new to owning a capri.

i picked one up off craiglist a week ago, and so far i am loving it.

i am havign the common headlight issues.

pass side works just fine.

driver side, goes up, VERY SLOWLY, and actualy opens all the way, then closes halfway.

sometimes it doesnt open at all, and sometimes it doesnt close at all.

all the while, there is that common clicking in the dash.

well i got lucky with this buy, in that it came with the complete ford shop manual.

and after reading the forum, and seeing that this is a fairly common issue, i took the headlight assembly out today so that i could work on it.

got the motor pulled... opened it up, and it was all gunked up with 20 year old grease that looked like candle wax.

cleaned it all out. regreased the gear. put some electrical grease on the metal plate and on the metal contacts.

then.....

i pulled the motor part so i could clean it up...

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

i cleaned up the armature contact with emory cloth, and cleaned the brushes a little with emory cloth...

but...

now i cant get it back together.

i cant get the brushes pulled back far enough, to be able to drop in the armature on the motor. i can get them back far enough, but i cant hold them there because there is no clearance for fingers, screw drivers etc...

anyone have any tricks to accomplishing this? or am i just screwed and need to buy a new/used motor now?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum! The main contacts of the motor rarely need cleaning, usually the suspect is the rotary switch you took care of.

I do remember back in the day taking apart the motor housing, and yes its VERY tricky to get back together. Its been a long time, but I think I used sewing thread to hold the brushes back until the armature was in place, but without looking at a motor I can't remember exactly how I did it.

Once you get it back together it should work normal though.

Post up some pics of your Capri, we'd all love to see it, and enjoy your stay here! We're all here to help!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

gadawgs34

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »

i had the same problem getting it back togeather never did i ended up buying one rocketman seems to have a groovy idea never thought of that  
Mike Robinson

bhazard

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »

Would you like to buy my drivers side headlight assembly? I have a teal one that worked perfect.

Its in Swanton.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

naptime

• http://www.toledotees.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »

rocketman.. thanks for the tip. i'll try and see if i can hold the brushes back with thread.

sounds like a good idea.. hold them back with thread, then pull it out after its together..

i'll give it a shot..

bhazard.. thanks.. i sent you a pm...

if i cant get the thread trick to work, then it looks like i will be in the market for a motor. dont necessarily need a whole assembly.. but, i sent ya a pm.. if the price is right..

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

welcome to capri addiction 101 nappy, so far it has cost me right around equal to one of Westport's 50 meter yachts they make here in port angeles wa. Not b
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart