TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing Shifter?  (Read 5054 times)

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »

I've disconnected the 2 bars at the transmission end.  Hows the best way to remove the shifter from the Capri so I can re-build it? I assume the console has to be removed first, is there any tips or tricks I should know? Does the whole console need to be removed?  Thanks

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

Any chance someone can suggest the best way to remove the shifter unit?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Removing Shifter?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »

I think the shifter is held in by 4x 10mm bolts under the console.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »

Thanks... Sounds easy enough, I just wanted to ask before tearing into the console in case there was some secret issue to deal with.
I wanted to get the shifter done before I install the new exhaust set-up I've made. Duel side-pipes (or "laker pipes").

kelly270

• http://na
Removing Shifter?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »

side pipes???? we will want pictures of course>>>
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »

The 'one-into-two' part I made attaches where the cat coverter was. It comes out behind the front wheels where the mud-flap is (was). That piece is all 2" dia.
From there it's polished SS 2" tube 6' long. I don't know until it's all mounted & all the sheet metal work is done as to what 'tips' it will end with.
Because I've converted this into a 3-wheeled vehicle, I'm not restricted by the 'need' of a cat converter & I can get away with some short motorcycle baffles inside the pipes. As soon as I rebuild the shifter I'll install the 'on-into-two' part. (it uses the stock hangers used for the cat converter)  I mention all this because it will be a while before the SS side pipes are installed & "photo-ready".

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Got it out easy enough but it's been "riged" with a piece of wire. There must be some piece missing that normally holds the shifter in place. Here's a picture...What's missing & does anyone have a replacement?  

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Removing Shifter?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »

I think its the common plastic clip issue. Shifter's held up with plastic clips and they break.

A lot of folks find a way to rig the shifter, even the replacement parts are plastic.

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »

The two white plastic clip-hooks that holds the top piece in position untill the nuts are tightened are still there (& working). The riged wire holds the actual shifter up in the top plate's 'cup' area. With out the wire the shifter falls out of the top (bolted-in) cup part. Is it still some plastic part that is missing?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Removing Shifter?
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »

believe you can see the broken part in the 2nd pic there

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

So the plastic part is black & it was round (like a donut) with two 'tabs' that were secured with the two metal support flaps (one in the middle of the lower picture with the plastic part still in it) ?? Is that correct?  Thanks

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »

Attached picture of repair...I saw that the little white plastic parts originally held the black rubber part. I made these out of sheet metal, holds real well.  

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

With the center console removed... There's a double-bracket on the top of the center 'tunnel' located right behind where the ash tray would be.  It looks like it should support something like a flat box or ??.  Any body able to shed some light on this 'missing' item?  Thanks

kelly270

• http://na
Removing Shifter?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

yeah, it is some kind of electrical or something, I just removed the whole console and am having problems remembering how i all goes back!! i'll take some pics of the box, car runs without it...

i guess that it is less wieght!!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

CapriProject

Removing Shifter?
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Thanks... It looks like what ever was there has been gone a very long time. Because the radio was gone when I bought this car, I wondered if it was some sort of amplifier or some other radio related accessory mount. I didn't see any stray wire harness connectors around that area.
Pages: [1] 2