TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where can I buy a radiator for my 91 Capri?  (Read 6200 times)

urbex

Where can I buy a radiator for my 91 Capri?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »

Radiator came nearly 45 mins later than the promised "worst case scenario" time (just _barely_ made my commitments today....like literally made it by minutes), but it turned out it was the correct one this time, and was even all metal like I wanted     The mounting tabs for the radiator supports and fan mounts were just a hair bit off, but flex in the rubber made up for it on the supports, and the fan will have to be modified a bit to get the driver's side lower mounting screw in, but it's in, and works well.  

Flogged the car like a red headed stepchild going through mountain passes at 80+MPH today on the way up to Sedona, and it never got above roughly 215-220 (midway between 175 and 250 on the stock gauge).  Easy cruising at 65 to 70 on flat ground, and the needle hugged the first mark past 175 the whole time.  

Radiator came from Performance Radiator (http://www.performanceradiator.com), they appear to have locations all around the country, including one here in Phoenix as well as one in Mesa.  Their part number is 1628CBR, is an all metal, copper/brass unit, with trans cooler in the lower tank.  Total price for me was $177, but I don't know if I got cut a deal because it was a business to business sale, and the manager of the Autozone just didn't charge me his cut.  The original price I was quoted was $220 (and was $300 for the same part number through Autozone.com, but is also quoted on Performance's website at $197).  They apparently also recondition existing radiators, at least at the Phoenix location, as I was talking to the delivery guy for a few minutes about the custom built radiator in my Scout that's starting to get some buildup in it.  

Overall though, I'm happy, and will certainly be giving this place more of my business.  

Oh, and the "running cooler is always better" - that is absolutely NOT true, especially for modern computer controlled vehicles.  These vehicles are designed to run around 200-210F (with at least some of GM's stuff, and I'm sure others as well, intended to run around 215-220F...yes, beyond the boiling point of water).  

The whole "cooler is better" is a carry-over from the old days by people who still think the best way to test an alternator is by yanking a battery cable while the engine is running (if the engine stays running, the alternator is good).  This WAS an acceptable method of testing a generator, but is a good way of instantly frying your alternator as well as the ECM/PCM.  

Same thing with the 160 thermostats.  Back in the day, the clearances and tolerances on engines were a lot looser, thus running the engine cooler could very well well give you additional power and mileage, at the expense of cabin heat.  Today however, the tolerances are a LOT tighter (hence why the recommended oil is 5W-30, vs 10W-40 or even straight weight 30 or 40 back then), and the engine computer expects to see a certain temp before it will go into closed loop.  If your cooling system is up to snuff, putting that 160 'stat in there could very well hold your engine at 160-170, and never getting up to full temp.  

Result? You may very well feel a few additional ponies due to the increased amount of fuel being dumped into the engine (it's more likely that you won't get any additional power, due to the timing also being retarded in open loop), but your fuel economy will likely take a dive (much like when your O2 sensor goes bad), along with the life span of your engine.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »

I ran a 160 for a while. Absolutely NO heat whatsoever, and I didn't notice any better performance. A lot of people will argue that the engine will need to run hotter to lubricate itself properly. YMMV though.

I've also run a 180. Again, no performance increase, even then still had very little heat. I'm sticking with the 195's.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

RonZee

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »

Remember that the "thermostat" doesn't control the temperature of the engine. The degree number like 160-180 or whatever is when it opens. It is actually a valve. The water temp can go higher if it wants to as now the valve is open. It will close if the temp goes lower than the "number" on it but it will not keep it from going higher.

So if you put in a 180 thermostat and it seems your not getting any heat, it's not the valve, but a pretty good working cooling system in general. So then putting in a 195 "thermostat" will cause the water temp to go higher before the valve opens, and will keep a higher minimum temp thus giving you more inteior heat.
This opening and closing all the time is why these things wear out. I've seen a lot of broken springs on them and even a few cocked sideways causing them to stick open or closed as they wear from the constant movement of the valve.
Don't forget also the if your a/c is on or if you have it on defrost, the radiator fan is usually going too which can cause it to heat slower.

As for the radiator in mine, I got lucky with a local junk yard and got one for 50 bucks. Silly thing looked better than the one that came out!
Speed is a question of money,, how fast do you want to go?
Pages: 1 [2]