TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: got rid of my 'popping' noise  (Read 3705 times)

LarryC

got rid of my 'popping' noise
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »

I was prepared to replace LCA bushings as per much talk.  Went to several repair shops, they didnt think bushings were problem. Last mechanic asked me to take to 'frame shop'.  At the frame shop, one guy drove the car back and forth on their ramp.  The second guy was under, looking and listening.  I was told it was only a loose nut 'connecting a strap'.  Costed me nothing.  The bushings from 'Peddlers' were over $100. I am so happy, my car is looking and running good. I hope this can help some of the many who have similar noises.

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
    • http://ombe.com
got rid of my 'popping' noise
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »

Great story ... I love those "free visits" to the shop (had one myself just this morning).

It's somewhat related, and as a favor to any "Googlers" who happen by, I just got rid of a "rachety racket" I thought was coming from the engine top.  I've rescued a '93 XR2 from the nursing home (so to speak) and had a general check and welfare shop visit.

Immediately thereafter I had an oil change from the local "quick lube" joint with synthetic 5W-30, and driving 15 miles home heard what sounded like broken lifters or valves clacking LOUDLY ... accessorized by smoke (in retrospect, this was actually just a little oil change slop on the exhaust manifold, apparently).

Further investigation showed that the noise didn't seem to be a problem in 1st/2nd gears or when the clutch was depressed; we found the gearbox almost devoid of fluid.

60 miles on it today and no noise.    
/* Just along for the ride */
\\\'93 XR2 in progress | Daily Driver | 5th Gear Swap | Rocketman VAF Adapter