TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Main Relay/Help  (Read 4165 times)

vintage5

Main Relay/Help
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »

From what I can tell the main relay is nothing but a terminal plug, is the right? Under the overflow tank. I have had multipul problems with this car and I still can't get the car to crank. I have no pulse coming back to the coil tomake the coil fire. I have replaced the pickup and the igniter in the dist. The car is close to going back to the junk yard where I found it. To top that off you can't even get a shop to work on it because yhey can't find parts. HELP  :confused:

Chicken

Main Relay/Help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »

No crank = no pulse.

NOT No pulse = no crank.

Did the car run since you've owned it??

Is it a 5 speed? ..the switch at the clutch pedal can fail internaly. Diconect it and jumper the two pin connector, then try again.

The other problem is with the local shops, not the parts availability.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

vintage5

Main Relay/Help
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

Thanks Chicken. See my other posts. The motor turns over fine just no fire. Could this still be the clutch switch?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Main Relay/Help
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

The clutch switch is a safety interlock that will not let the engine crank, (as when you try to start without the clutch depressed) If the car cranks over the clutch switch is not the issue.

Im sorry if it's already been answered, but how are your grounds on the thermostat housing? Are the connected/been cleaned?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

vintage5

Main Relay/Help
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »

Thanks Rocketman for your reply. I have checked those grounds. I was wondering in the Knock module mounted on the passanger fender well could be causing this problem since the wire going from the coil also go thru this module?

rcdraco

Main Relay/Help
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »

I had this same problem, and I replaced all secondary grounds, and double checked everything.  It just came down to a defective igniter.  I guess these units can fail just sitting as NOS.