TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: where can I buy an alternator for my 91 Capri?  (Read 3386 times)

Mort

where can I buy an alternator for my 91 Capri?
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »

I have a 91 turbo Capri.  Driving to work this morning the dash lights started to dim, the airbag warning light started to flash and the voltmeter showed -0-.  Usually the voltmeter on my car is about half way up the scale.  Is it the alternator that is bad?  I've had the car since 91 and never changed the alternator.  The charge light was not on.  Hopefully I can get an alternator at Autozone.  If anyone knows if I can get an alternator at Autozone, do you know the part number I need? Also the manual says to remove the exhaust, and the halfshaft to get the alternator out.  Is there an easier way to remove the alternator?  I would really appreciate anyone's comments and help on this issue.  Thank you in advance, Mort

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

First, check your alternator/water pump belt. If the belt has failed, that's an easy fix.

Second, you can get alternator at the autoparts store, just tell them your make/model. There are two types, Early (bosch/denso 85A) and later model (Mitsubishi 70A) you'll need to determine which you have. The 91 could have either type.

If you do have to replace the alternator, it can be done by loosening the idle valve on the side of the intake manifold and pushing it aside. The alternator will have enough room to come up through that space, but it might need to be rotated a bit.

I have a few used Mitsubishi 70A alternators for sale, if you're interested. Check the for sale section for one of my threads
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Mort

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

Thank you for the information.  I will look for the alternator you have for sale here, or I might just take the car to a repair shop if I deem the project too hard for me. For my information, is the idle valve the thingy that has 2 bolts holding it to the engine block and 2 hoses coming out of it and a wire connector?  Is it just above the alternator when looking from the top down?  Thank you again, hopefully I can start on this project soon.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »

Mort-
You are correct....that IS the idle air control valve. The alternator comes out pretty easy, once you move that! The job is fairly easy and straightforward, and is easily accomplished by even the most novice of mechanics. Save the $$ and do the job yourself!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Mort

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.  A little chinese puzzle moves and the alternator came out after removing the idle air control valve.  It was also a good opportunity to change both belts too.

Seems like the car has a little more power now that I have a new alternator.  Now if I can only fix my NHK adjustable wastegate I can go back to torque steer fun.

Thank you.