TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: TPS  (Read 3510 times)

vintage5

TPS
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »

Where do I purchase a TPS?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
TPS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Email Russ at Caprityper@gmail.com - Or I probably have a handful of good ones laying around.

What's the issue with your TPS? Did it test out of spec?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

vintage5

TPS
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

What happened was after I bought the car I noticed that when I was driving and started to change gears the motor would stumble. I put a bypass switch on the TPS and the stumble went away. So I just figured it was a bad TPS?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
TPS
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »

Hmm. Sounds like it.

Can you explain the bypass switch for me? I'm curiuous as to what you did

JJ

TPS
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

prob opens the circuit just like disconnecting it. it could be the tps but may not. my problem was solved by retiming, new radiator and thermostat. read my older posts you'll find a long juicy history.

taking out tps puts puter in safe mode. I'd bet if you plugged it in and disconnected your oxygen sensor problem goes away too, but doesn't mean your o2 is bad....

vintage5

TPS
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »

I cut the orange wire going to the TPS and installed the on/off switch.

vintage5

TPS
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »

JJ. Question? How did replacing the radiator and thermostat factor in the equation. As a racer and motor builder I can see the timing being a factor. Please explain?

JJ

TPS
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

Good question!

I don't know. If you've read all the history on my problem you'll see I replaced a lot of stuff.... All I know is the problem didn't go away until after the radiator replacement he noticed it was out of time. He timed it and then the problem was gone.

I had the car timed 3 different times beforehand... and 3 different distributors. maybe it's possible they really didn't know how to do it?

My best guess is that the thermostat ground somehow travels through the radiator, and by swapping out the bolts and rad it grounded better?

JJ

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
TPS
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

The T-Stat does not in any way ground through the radiator. I'm going to guess there was a bad/intermittent connection or ground that was disturbed/fixed when the radiator was replaced

Vintage5, cutting that wire & switching it is the same as unplugging the sensor. It throws the ecu into a limp mode, where it replaces several sensor inputs with default values like JJ has mentioned. Does not single out the TPS as the faulted sensor or problem.

JJ

TPS
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »

Like I said, I didn't know.... but this as the one time in 1000 something freaky worked in my favor. Maybe something took pity on the 24 months and prob $2,000 I spent searching for it.

rcdraco

TPS
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

I would be more willing to wager it's fouled wires from a leaking valve cover gasket.  

TPS as far as I know only manages fuel to a small extent.  If the TPS fails it normally develops one or more "spots" where the resistor isn't contacting internally and it would seem to lose power at those spots.  Which can occur anywhere along the resistor.

Wires or fouled plugs on the other hand would stumble at most RPM's regardless of how far the pedal is down.