TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: suggestions on an after amrket bov or bpv  (Read 7651 times)

kelly270

• http://na
suggestions on an after amrket bov or bpv
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

Man, I put in blow off valve and the selection and prices are extremely different. Matt said that is recommended to install a different one. Any one got a good place to go, (you know for a beginer). My muffler parts came in as well as the 2-stage controller, I'm getting closer. I'm looking at around 200-250 for the install on the exhaust. Can't really find anyone cheaper, less I go to Seattle. Also, do I need to put a boost gauge in the car? I kind of thought the kit was coming with one.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

GregZ

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »

When your choosing your bov it definatly depends on what your planning on doing or what your current set up is. If you have a FMIC (front mount intercooler) instead of the stock sidemount and aluminum piping the i would say go with a type R or RS Greddy bov with an adapter kit. If you have all stock pipiing(rubber hoses) then youll have to ask rocket about the audi TT bov or the porche T bov, he knows exatly what will fit with the least amount of modification.

just my .02

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)
94 Turbo\\\'d Miata (Sold)
1997 Lifted Jeep Cherokee (Sold)
2002 Subaru Wrx - Current DD

GregZ

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

Also the stock bov on these cars are pretty well designed. Since you are running rockets Jpipe you can just let the bov dump to the atmosphere hense blow off valve. Bypass valves just dump back into the intake to be reused again. the stock bypass valve can be unhooked and it will dump into the atmosphere(open ait) and blow off just like an aftermarket bov will. If you are using the stock restrictive jpipe the nosle in which the bypass valve ( which is a blow off if it dumps into open air instead of back into the inake) must be pluged.

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

Greg- the stock BPV cannot be dumped to atmosphere. It remains open at idle and will cause a massive vacuum leak preventing the car from even idling. I will disagree that they are well designed - they function fine for stock setups but they do not handle boost well, nor do they flow large amounts of air during blowoff which is required when running higher levels of boost.

The Jpipe I offer allows you to run either - to run a vent to atmosphere or to recirc. I designed it keeping in mind people might want to run one or the other. It has the two interchangeable fittings: a nipple for a recirc setup to return the air, and a simple blockoff plate for running a vent-to atmosphere BOV.

Do you want to run a BOV that'll make a chhhh or woosh noise when you let off the throttle? (the cool blowoff noise) Or would you rather it remain silent?

As far as recommendations go - I really like the HKS SSQV. I've running a chinese knockoff for a few years now and it works just fine - and it was 1/4th the price of the real deal. It has very high response to boost changes and is great for our little turbos. Theres a lot of people here running them.

The Greddy type RS is also a good BOV.

Forge also makes a good bypass valve, if you want to go that route. I think Grant is running one.

If you want to connect it to your existing piping - there are many styles of adapters out there to choose from. It will depend on what BOV you choose, each manufacturer has their own proprietary mounting methods.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

BOV choices are endless....knock offs work well several of us are using them. when you buy most FMIC kits on EBAY they come with them. I guess you have to think about a few things. Location of it..does the sound matter to you and price. take in consideration those factors and make your best choice. i got my FMIC with BOV for just over 200. works great. you can see my build here with pics of how it went in
 http://teamcapri.com/capri-gi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000100

as far as a boost gauge since u already have the MBC then just pick up an autometer one. they are 50 bucks and work good for the price. most auto parts store stock them
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

correction- you cannot run the stock bypass open to atmosphere ... it does not fully stay closed while idling and will suck unfiltered air back into the intake manifold... this is bad...
the air getting sucked in under idle is not metered by the mass air meter and will cuase all kinds of headaches with the idle...

when hooked up to bypass, the bung where the bypass air goes is in the j pipe after the airflow meter... basically any air that gets back into the intake was already on that side of the meter so it dosent matter...

an aftermarket bov closes fully under idle vaccume... therefor does not draw air back into the intake or piping once the pressure has been released into the atmosphere...

think of it this way... when a bypass valve is working, it allows the charge in the pipe to basically make a big circle.. continuing to run through the turbo until the throttle is opened then it closes and all the air goes into the engine...
 a BOV that dumps to atmosphere, just tosses that air.. instead of making the circle, and when the throttle is applied again, it requires the turbo to re-fill the system with air to create boost once again... this creates minor lag between shifts...the bigger the turbo the more noticeable the lag is, becuase other variables come into play... like how much exhaust pressure must be created to spin the turbo in the first place... AKA hotside size...
many people use bypass design to "anti-lag there cars with big turbos...

that being said a turbo as small as a vj-14 (stock capri turbo)refills the pipes rather quickly, and turbo lag is much less pronounced..

therefor ... get a BOV and dump to atmosphere...
let em know your comin... and if and when you ever decide to go with a bigger turbo you can worry about lag when the time comes....

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

oh and a suggestion for a kick ass BOV is an HKS ssqv ive been running one for years ...there maintainance free... and sound awesome....

rocket has had really good luck with an ssqv copy off ebay... there cheap and sound about the same.... i run an authentic HKS but there pricey at 200.00+...so the decision is yours but this is what we run on our cars...

220hp@18psi

icurunnin

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »

if you are running stock ic piping just buy a HKS SSQ and the flange adapter that allows you to hook it to our stock hard pipe.

Check my build thread if you want to see the pics.
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

icurunnin

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »

I forgot the item number but I am sure you can find it some where. Works great for stock piping.

3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 05:22:00 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys!  I just found and printed out an excellent article on BOV's.

"Blow off valves- Myths, installation, and quality"

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/stpg.php?page_id=bov

Got real good info and lots of turbo related parts. Looks like a good site.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics on the forum.

Kelly270
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

GregZ

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »

i used my stock bov with my tbird and removed the stock jpipe, but as i do remember it idled high ( like 2000 rpm) 1992xr2, phil a member on here instructed me to do so, so i did. Ha thanks for correcting me and sorry for the bad info.

Greg.
91 xr2 (SOLD)

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

silicone intakes is a good site

it is where i bought my couplers for the turbo to do my fmic.

there knockoff type rs bov is the same i am using as well
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com