TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: What a difference!  (Read 2411 times)

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
What a difference!
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »

Well, I replaced my front struts and tie rod ends today. Never done struts before, so that was interesting. Other than an issue getting one of the strut shaft nuts off, it was actually pretty easy. Took her in for an alignment and now she rides like a totally different car! I was scared taking it into the shop, thinking that there were going to be tons of issues, but amazingly enough they didn't have to adjust much. Now it's on to the rear struts!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

blue93

What a difference!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

Congrats, I can't remember the last time I used one of those spring compressors, but once you get that done and if the previous owners haven't smacked any curbs really hard, they come out pretty easy.
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
What a difference!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »

Yeah, the spring compressor was a new one for me. Never used one before, but it was pretty easy. The top nut on the DS strut gave me a fit because the top spring seat kept turning while I was trying to loosen the nut. Ended up clamping the spring seat to the spring with some vice grips and beat the wrench with a hammer. :) Finally came loose and I was good to go. So, if anyone needs some advice on replacing your front struts, let me know!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\