TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: water injection info  (Read 4513 times)

stinkweed

water injection info
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »

I've been doing some research on the water/methanol injection idea for my 91 n/a. Companies like Snow Performance and AEM offer kits for less than $300. Has anyone here ever had any experience with this idea. My dad used to have a homemade system hooked up to his old 64 Ford, but it was just a water tank,vaccuum hose and a metering jet. Thoughts anyone?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
water injection info
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

On a turbo car, I'd say hell yes, but on a small displacement EFI N/A engine, my gut feeling says you probably won't notice a huge difference. It will keep the combustion chambers clean though!

I say try it & report back to us   ;)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

stinkweed

water injection info
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement Rocket. I wasn't expecting huge performance gains anyways. The systems ideally are meant to cool the air charge so you can run more initial timing. The steam cleaned combustion chambers are just an added bonus. There's not  too much you can do with the basic N/A for power adders unless you want to get serious with turbos or nitrous.I am going to try to go with a simple vacuum style set up that flows constantly. The Snow and AEM kits are set up for forced air engines and use electric injection into the air pipe on WOT. I'm currently 16 degrees initial timing with no problems and thought with the added water/methanol kit I might try 20+ and see how it reacts. I'll gather up some parts eventially and install it and let you guys know how it turns out.

stinkweed

water injection info
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement Rocket. I wasn't expecting huge performance gains anyways. The systems ideally are meant to cool the air charge so you can run more initial timing. The steam cleaned combustion chambers are just an added bonus. There's not  too much you can do with the basic N/A for power adders unless you want to get serious with turbos or nitrous.I am going to try to go with a simple vacuum style set up that flows constantly. The Snow and AEM kits are set up for forced air engines and use electric injection into the air pipe on WOT. I'm currently 16 degrees initial timing with no problems and thought with the added water/methanol kit I might try 20+ and see how it reacts. I'll gather up some parts eventially and install it and let you guys know how it turns out.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
water injection info
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

It will be tough for it to work like you describe, EFI cars don't have a constant vacuum port like a carbureted car does.

When you go WOT, when you will need the water the most, there are no ports with vacuum to draw the water in. Carbs have venturis, and vac ports in/near the venturis that will have vacuum even at WOT.

You may want to rig in a WOT switch and run a high pressure injection pump & nozzle that activates after ~70% throttle
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: water injection info
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »

Anything to report on the effective gains of this on a turbo?

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »

Bumpity bump

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »

I know a lot of drifters out in Japan use water injection to cool down the air charge. I don't see any reason why It wouldn't work well with a turbo setup as cooler air is always better air. It very well might give you a small increase in power

I've actually seen water injection using garden weed sprayers, hooked directly onto the intercooler
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

frog

• 93 xr2 & 91 N/A
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »

I will be running a nitrous and water/meth inj. kit on my 91 n/a auto. I will find out how strong /weak the auto trans is. ha ha somebody on here said grenades are fun!! 75 horse shot/ with water / meth. injection that way I can run my timing at street advance hotter plugs and not worry about detonation when on the bottle. I will run this setup until my 93 xr2 is done being parted out (rusted body)  and motor rebuilt then I will take that knowledge and apply it to my 91 high compression turbo/nitrous/water/meth. hot rod ;D. I will find the limits of my car !!!!!!!