TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Aftermarket Headlight Install  (Read 1408 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Aftermarket Headlight Install
« on: January 22, 2022, 06:59:13 PM »

Reposting this to hopefully get more exposure.. I've recently installed some aftermarket headlights (h4 super white bulb and housing seen here https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X6-Black-Projector-Crystal-Clear-Glass-Halogen-Headlight-Lamp-Light-Bulb-Each-/232629629406?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0). I hit a couple of unexpected snags during the install, I'm hoping someone out there can provide a little guidance (sorry if my explanation is not the best):

1) The replacement h4 bulbs do not mate with the existing headlight socket - I've been doing a little research and not sure if there is any type of socket/wiring I should be looking for. For example, is there a specific guage of wire I should be looking for/avoiding?

2) I know I need a relay kit to get the most out of these bulbs, and I feel pretty confident I can install one. I just don't know which kit would be best or if they are universal. It seems they are designed to install in place using the existing socket, so I'm a bit concerned given the fact that I now need new sockets for the replacement bulbs. I'm also not sure what the amperage rating of the relay kit needs to be. If anyone has installed relay kits for this car and has some suggestions/kits they would recommend I would appreciate any info you have.

At any rate, here are what the headlights look like mounted.. I can't wait to get them wired up!
https://imgur.com/gallery/mcrdKzI

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Aftermarket Headlight Install
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 07:43:35 PM »

If you look up a guide for "headlight re-wire" there should be a pile of resources to choose from.

I did a re-wire with relays on my 93 chevy truck when I installed new headlights. Night & day difference. I did not use a kit. Have not done one to a Capri.
Used some universal automotive relays I purchased on eBay forever ago, not sure of their amperage rating.
My application required 3 relays, as I wanted to keep the low beams on with the highs (separate housings on the truck) The capri likely only needs 2 relays. (hi/low)
I also needed to pick up an inline fuse holder (wired direct to battery so it needed a fuse) and the wire was 12 or 14 awg. Soldered & heat-shrunk all connections.
I cut the factory plugs off the harness and ran the new heavier wire to them. Used the original wiring to trigger the relays.

Standard universal auto relays should work, halogen bulbs are usually 55W max so should be 4-5A draw per bulb

Before going through all that work I would figure out what bulb you have, it should be marked, and find a socket that fits it. Are you sure the OEM socket doesn't fit? The image in the eBay listing looks as though it should
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 08:08:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply rocketman! Yes, I am certain the outlets are different. The OEM bulbs have 3 tabs but one is on an angle, whereas the aftermarket bulbs have 3 tabs in a house shape. It almost looks like I should pick up something like this to complete the conversion process https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AK9M66/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_SXRBABHW14YZEW7V9XQY

As for the H4 bulb, it's a 12v, 60/55w. Is it best to just go with a higher guage wire in general? I know the relays will feed directly off the 12V from the battery and use the existing high/low beam wires as a trigger.. but I was not aware that I will need a fuse for this. I'll have to do research on that (unless relay kits usually come with a fuse?)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »

Yes if that conversion harness is the right one, that should be the ticket to getting your lights up & running without the re-wire
Would also serve as the sockets for when you do the re-wire (cut the conversion harness & splice into your re-wire, could leave the OEM intact then)

www.ebay.com/itm/124148130601 Found this with a quick search on eBay, yes it has a fuse holder. I would imagine most kits do

Yes it's better to go with heavier gauge wire, generally OEM is just barely enough to get the job done because of cost measures. Heavier gauge wire = less resistance, which = less voltage drop
And pulling power directly from the battery bypasses much of the car's harness as well, shortening the overall electrical path.
Like I said on my truck it was a massive difference in light output - OE wiring was maybe 22awg, very thin!

Additionally, depending on the vehicle, it will eliminate the load on the headlight switch itself. My truck's switch was getting hot and beginning to fail, no longer gets warm.
I don't recall if the headlight switch on the Capri switched full current.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 08:40:13 PM »

Thanks, this relay kit looks perfect, I think I know what I need to do this upgrade. I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and I also now understand which tabs go to low/high/ground on the OEM socket. The only part that I couldn't get a clear answer on was the H4 bulb that I have. Seems that "H4" bulbs are wired slightly different from "H4656", but both numbers appear on my aftermarket bulbs, so it's not clear what the wiring is. Good news is that the crossover cable can be changed at will, but I don't know what would happen if I accidentally got the low/high beam connectors wrong. Would it brake the bulb? or would it just be reversed in function? (high beams come on instead of low beams, etc)