TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 1549 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Oil Cooler
« on: November 24, 2021, 03:42:38 AM »

As I have the engine out of my 1994 SE Turbo I have had a good look at the oil cooler.
Is it really worth having.
I would have thought that with the hot water circulating through it it would become a oil heater as apposed to a oil cooler.
I'm thinking it would be much better if I added a dedicated oil cooler in stead.
Has any one done this, and if so where did you locate the small cooler.
Any thoughts ??

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:43:55 AM »

The water/oil cooler is more efficient that an air/water cooler. I imagine packaging would be a problem. With the a/w style cooler you'd have a larger radiator(oil radiator) and you'd have to have some way to insure air flow though it, like a fan. Id you check around, OE coolers are water/oil for these reasons. That's the same reason the AT fluid is cooled via the radiator rather than a separate cooler and aftermarket coolers often include a fan.
Jack Byrd