TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Northeast cruise  (Read 2804 times)

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
Northeast cruise
« on: November 20, 2021, 11:04:09 PM »

Hi all, Does anyone know whether or not The Annual Northeast Capri Gathering Cruise still takes place? I live in PA & would love to take part in it...if it is still going on. John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Northeast cruise
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 07:51:14 AM »

Not aware of it. Where, when did it usually occur?
Jack Byrd

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »

There is a YouTube video of the 2nd event which occurred on 9-25-2010. John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 05:05:33 PM »

I used to host it, ran 5 of them from '09 to '14 if I remember right.
Have not got it going again since then. Could do again in the future if there's interest.
Would need assistance. They are a lot of work and stress to plan and run, I wasn't even doing shirts or trophies. Just coffee, bagels, cruise & chill afterwards.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 05:16:59 PM »

Used to have some photo albums out there on a site Russ had, don't think it exists anymore.
We had a good time.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »

Have not got it going again since then. Could do again in the future if there's interest.
Would need assistance. They are a lot of work and stress to plan and run, I wasn't even doing shirts or trophies. Just coffee, bagels, cruise & chill afterwards.

What all would need done to organize a new meet up? Say in the spring of 2022. The dealership I work for has a massive gravel lot tucked away in the back that we use to store cars destined for the junkyard. Probably is more than enough room for a couple dozen Capris and their owners, and I'm pretty confident my bosses wouldn't have any issues with us using the space.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »

So, I learned many things. One of them is the meeting place has to be ridiculously easy to find. Even then there's issues. And it has to have bathroom facilities very close by, some people are coming from far away. Schedule is hard to keep, I ran my meets very loose with the schedule, which was fine for some and not for others. Some folks need to have food by a certain time due to health reasons. Other folks will have pets and need accommodations. Some might have a personal carry firearm which is not legal in certain states the cruise might take us through. Walkie-talkies are needed for coordinating cars during the cruise: one in the lead car & one in the tailing car, did we all make it through the light? The more cars, the more difficult that becomes. Cell phones only work where there is service. Are there tolls in the cruise route?
Have you done a dry run of the cruise route recently, are there any closed roads or detours? How do you deal with a breakdown? These are a few things that come to mind.

After two years of poor meeting places we ended up meeting at the PA welcome center just off I-80, on the PA side of the PA/NJ border. This worked really well.
I had some different cruise routes to points of interest & food planned out, some worked better than others.

It's just a lot :) and a whole lot more than just having a place to meet up. But a very, very good time. Capri owners tend to be good folks.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »

Just barely before my time....lol  Always interested in getting together with other Capri's. I've been to several Florida meets and enjoyed them very much.
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »

Addendum: the Florida meets were just getting together and tee-shirts. Had a dozen or more cars.
Jack Byrd