TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Model/toy cars  (Read 4534 times)

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
Model/toy cars
« on: October 30, 2021, 10:28:17 AM »

Hi all, Just wondering...does anyone know of any model or toy 1990s Capris? Either Matchbox types or model building types? I've been searching but to no avail. John

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Model/toy cars
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:39:05 PM »

Ohhh I'd love one, too.

I've got the matchbox version of every sporty car I've ever owned, taped to the lid of my toolbox hutch at work. The Capri would be a neat addition. I've got a picture of my Capri as the background on my work computer in my bay, too. I've probably had five technicians now ask me what the hell car it is.

Any way we could petition Hot Wheels or Matchbox to make a small run of them for us?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 03:32:06 AM »

Road Champs had one, in their "Flip Top" line, with a working convertible top. They pop up from time to time on eBay. I forget what scale, it's bigger than a matchbox.

It's not the most accurate model but it's close. I have one, I can post some pictures, I don't have it on hand at the moment.

If someone is good with 3d modelling, I'd love to get a nice accurate model to 3d print
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »

As an engineer with above average 3D printing and solid modeling experience (Solid Edge and NX), solid modeling a vehicle is not an easy task. Lots of little parts to measure and create. There is software to convert pictures to solid models, but they also require lots of touch up work. Can it be done, absolutely, but is a long and tedious process. 

EShepherd

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 06:40:05 AM »

As an engineer with above average 3D printing and solid modeling experience (Solid Edge and NX), solid modeling a vehicle is not an easy task. Lots of little parts to measure and create. There is software to convert pictures to solid models, but they also require lots of touch up work. Can it be done, absolutely, but is a long and tedious process.

This sounds about right. I've got a buddy who does engineering and 3d modeling for a living, and has a couple 3d printers. I ran the idea by him, and he asked me to get some pictures. He said it's likely that he could make us models, but it'd be time consuming and expensive. Around 100-150 Euros per model, plus shipping. The shipping will be extra shitty, since he lives in the UK.

I'm debating having him make me one anyways. He can paint them, or ship them un-painted if you'd rather do it yourself. But if anyone else is interested, let me know. It may be cheaper if we get a few of them at once.

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »

Hi. I am interested IF he can do a really good job. I did see a couple of  the Road Champs ones that Rocketman mentioned (no, they weren't for sale) & they are awesome! I wish I could find one of those for sale. Let me know what you decide EShepherd. I will keep checking this post. John

EShepherd

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 06:40:20 PM »

I'm almost definitely gonna have him make me one. I'll post some pictures when it gets here, and you guys can decide then. Granted, it's going to be a while, but eventually... I guess it's pretty complicated to model, then takes a while to print, then takes a couple weeks to ship after all of that.

Original_Owner

• 1991 XR2
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »

I am in for a model as well. If you can get him to send the actual the .stp or similar format, I can make 3D prints also.

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »

Hi everyone, Looks like this is my day! It all started when I couldn't sleep & got out of bed around 4:15AM. I was looking on EBAY & noticed someone had listed one of those Road Champs Flip Top Capris that Rocketman mentioned. It was in it's original packaging, but there was one problem...it was listed in November & the bidding had ended. The good news was that no one put in a bid on it so I sent a message to the seller asking him if he would relist. He said he would, so I found his new listing & made an offer & he accepted! It's cool that the model is red, as is my Capri.

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 02:48:49 PM »

The Flip Top model came today...in just 3 days! I am very happy with it, especially since it is red, which is the color of my Capri. If I ever figure out how to add a photo I will do so. John

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »

So it was YOU who sniped me  8 ::)

I saw both listings and was humming and hahing too long.

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 11:46:24 AM »

You know the old saying, "Those who hum & hah miss out on model car!" Not really sure if that is an old saying or if I just made that up! John