TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Mystery leak  (Read 3697 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Mystery leak
« on: October 18, 2021, 02:11:07 PM »

Sorry for the constant new topics but I'm having all sorts of bad luck with my capri it seems :(. I recently posted re: an issue with the seat but the purpose of removing that seat was to understand this strange leak that has me completely stumped. I thought I would describe it here and see if anyone has encountered this before. Keep in mind I have already adjusted the windows, doors, and soft top and verified with a hose that they are not leaking. But anyway whenever it rains a large (I'm talking several inches of water here) will mysteriously appear underneath the passenger seat. I've tried sitting inside during a rain storm to see if I can locate the source but can't figure it out. oddly enough the seat itself is bone dry, the soft top roof is also dry and no signs of water dripping at/near the doors. I thought perhaps it's coming from the trunk so I removed the back seat and noticed a slight bit of moisture in there but not enough to correlate to this huge puddle. it's as if the water is somehow coming from below.. I am completely out of ideas at this point. My only thought is that it is running from inside the plastic molding within the frame somewhere but I even removed as much as I could and peeled the carpet back... all of the metal underneath was seemingly dry (with only my large puddle under the seat). It breaks the laws of physics to me...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Mystery leak
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »

You might check the roof cover seals where they come together at the front flapper door. Water could leak in there and run down the inside trim panel and run out the bottom into that area. I've had one of mine do that one time and I think that was what was happening.
Jack Byrd

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure where are you referring to.. is this where the door/front windshield/roof meet? or where the door/roof meet (closest to the door handle). The word "flapper" makes me think of the plastic, spring-loaded covering near the door that covers the soft top storage area... mine are broken so water is free to flow into the roof storage compartment. I also found evidence that many convertibles have water drainage/filters inside the soft top storage compartment that need to be cleaned out regularly. The miata is a good example but I couldn't figure out if the capri has something similar...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »

Yes, that's what I'm referring to where the top hinges. I think there is probably a drain in that area, but mine only did it one time, so I haven't pursued it.
Jack Byrd