TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Broken passenger seat bolt please help!  (Read 3393 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Broken passenger seat bolt please help!
« on: October 17, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »

Hey guys, so I was trying to remove the passenger seat when one of the bolts broke inside the chassis. Now the bolt can neither tighten nor loosen and the passenger seat is wobbly since the bolt was halfway out when it broke. Is there anything I can do? I've looked underneath the car and there is no way to get to the bolts from underneath... I'm so pissed I wish I had just left it alone... :(

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Broken passenger seat bolt please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »

I've had trouble with those too, but never broke one. You might drill it out and tap it for a new screw. You might also cut the head off the bolt and use a nut on it.
Jack Byrd

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 02:03:29 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking about this and I believe my best/only option is to drill a hole through the bottom of the chassis so the bolt can be accessed from below. I don't know what the inside looks like but it feels like there is supposed to be a socket/nut/female end that should be welded to the frame. I believe it came loose so there is no way to tighten/loosen the bolt at this point. I'm a bit nervous to try this method though...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »

Sorry, I misunderstood. The weld nut broke loose, not the bolt broke. Yeah, what you are saying would be the only way to fix it. You can get various sizes of plastic plugs and size your access hole so it can be covered when you get though. These weld bolts are usually square and you may have to cut the bolt anyway even when you have access to the bottom. Good luck with it.
Jack Byrd