TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Steering Vibration - My Journey  (Read 4970 times)

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
Steering Vibration - My Journey
« on: October 08, 2021, 06:50:43 PM »

I thought I would post some data in case it might be any use to anyone.

I purchased a bit of a basket case 91 as far as suspension and a couple of other niggly things.

When I purchased the car would vibrate violently at 44 mph, car was parked for ~ 2 years, so

I was thinking and could still be a factor of "flat tiring". 1st thing I did was replace the outer

wheel bearings and seals. Test drive put at me 49 mph before severe vibration. Replaced both

lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. I can now get up to 60mph before any noticeable

vibration, but no longer violent, the lower ball joints were pretty loose. I plan on pulling

both control arms and rebush those new inner wheel bearings new rubber for the sway bar.

I'm gettin' there, so this actually fairly easy, so being an amateur mechanic, if I find it relatively

easy, I suspect a lot more of you who think you can't tackle this type of work, you can, just need

patience and a little research. KYB struts won't be in stock until late October to mid November.

For some reason, there are -0- KYB 234008's in the U.S., plenty of KYB 234009's.

Michael
Roseville, CA

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Steering Vibration - My Journey
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 07:24:40 PM »

Have you had the tires balanced ? I fought vibration on one of my non-capri vehicles, replacing suspension and steering components left and right, could not get rid of it. Ended up getting new tires at one point and the car was smooth as silk. The old tires were way out of balance
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 07:39:25 AM »

Have you had the tires balanced ? I fought vibration on one of my non-capri vehicles, replacing suspension and steering components left and right, could not get rid of it. Ended up getting new tires at one point and the car was smooth as silk. The old tires were way out of balance

I'll second this opinion. This is almost definitely it. Especially with it having been parked for so long...tires don't appreciate  that so much. I know for sure my car is going to need to get new tires once it's running...that thing was parked for so long that when I found it, there was a bush growing up and through it. I think it had been parked from 2004-2021.

Tire balance is such a simple thing, it often gets over looked. Without it, the car will feel practically un-drivable on the highway. Whenever you have bad vibrations at a very specific speed, that's almost always the cause.

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »

I  was also leaning towards the front tires being the last part of the equation, so I have now replaced the front tires, very little difference. I can now go to 70mph and the car smooths out considerably, the faster you go, but between 10 - 30 mph, I feel like I am in one of the quarter rides you used to see at KMart. Showing my age now, aren't I ???  So control arm bushings and inner wheel bearings are next on the list, while I wait "impatiently" for my replacement struts. More wrench therapy next weekend !!!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 02:24:57 PM »

Ok. Glad you got that part sorted.

Another to look at is CV axles. Some can go bad and create a vibration, but it's usually more consistent at all speeds.

If your front lower control arm bushings are bad, then that's a good item to replace. Watch the captured bolt in the frame - start spraying it down well before hand. It tends to spin the captured nut and can be real tough to get out
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »

Roger That, Captured Nut on Frame, I appreciate the heads up, I'll put a fair amount of spray lubricant in that area.

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »

OK, so major storms in NorCal last weekend, so only tackled the strut arm bushings.

Corners better, but "in town" vibration is still there. Concerned factory lower control

arm hardware is "not" factory, so when the weather turns to unbearable by Nor Cal

standards, lower control arms are next on list. Want to enjoy some country driving

before weather turns.

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 05:21:57 PM »

Finally getting around to tackling the lower control arm bushings, but I need some guidance.

I can't get a bite on the nut that is "in" the lower control arm towards the front.

I tried a 14mm/15mm/17mm/19mm, no luck. The outer bolt just spins the inner nut

continuously and it appears that a nylock nut is on the bolt, so I am guessing these

bushes have been replaced before.

Any help appreciated !!!

Thx !!! Michael

KTM520EXC

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »

Disregard request, looks like there was a captured nut in there originally and someone replaced with Nylock nut.

The only way to get it out was to wedge a really long screwdriver to stop the nut from turning. Not fun, but

got it out. The previous person who was in there last, failed to remove the captured casing, so there was no way

I could get a socket, or wrench on the nylock nut only 3 of the 6 sides were accessible, hence the wedge method.

Michael

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »

If you want to fix this the correct way, you'll need to weld a new nut up in there. It's not all that difficult, 4 little tack welds (one on each side) should be good enough. The tricky part is getting the tip of the welder up in there. You may need to cut yourself access holes in the unibody rail, then plate them back closed after you are done.

It's either that, or deal with a non-welded nut next time you need to get that lower control arm out.