Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Brakes/Suspension/Tires/Wheels

Steering Vibration - My Journey

(1/2) > >>

KTM520EXC:
I thought I would post some data in case it might be any use to anyone.

I purchased a bit of a basket case 91 as far as suspension and a couple of other niggly things.

When I purchased the car would vibrate violently at 44 mph, car was parked for ~ 2 years, so

I was thinking and could still be a factor of "flat tiring". 1st thing I did was replace the outer

wheel bearings and seals. Test drive put at me 49 mph before severe vibration. Replaced both

lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. I can now get up to 60mph before any noticeable

vibration, but no longer violent, the lower ball joints were pretty loose. I plan on pulling

both control arms and rebush those new inner wheel bearings new rubber for the sway bar.

I'm gettin' there, so this actually fairly easy, so being an amateur mechanic, if I find it relatively

easy, I suspect a lot more of you who think you can't tackle this type of work, you can, just need

patience and a little research. KYB struts won't be in stock until late October to mid November.

For some reason, there are -0- KYB 234008's in the U.S., plenty of KYB 234009's.

Michael
Roseville, CA

Rocketman:
Have you had the tires balanced ? I fought vibration on one of my non-capri vehicles, replacing suspension and steering components left and right, could not get rid of it. Ended up getting new tires at one point and the car was smooth as silk. The old tires were way out of balance

EShepherd:

--- Quote from: Rocketman on October 08, 2021, 07:24:40 PM ---Have you had the tires balanced ? I fought vibration on one of my non-capri vehicles, replacing suspension and steering components left and right, could not get rid of it. Ended up getting new tires at one point and the car was smooth as silk. The old tires were way out of balance

--- End quote ---

I'll second this opinion. This is almost definitely it. Especially with it having been parked for so long...tires don't appreciate  that so much. I know for sure my car is going to need to get new tires once it's running...that thing was parked for so long that when I found it, there was a bush growing up and through it. I think it had been parked from 2004-2021.

Tire balance is such a simple thing, it often gets over looked. Without it, the car will feel practically un-drivable on the highway. Whenever you have bad vibrations at a very specific speed, that's almost always the cause.

KTM520EXC:
I  was also leaning towards the front tires being the last part of the equation, so I have now replaced the front tires, very little difference. I can now go to 70mph and the car smooths out considerably, the faster you go, but between 10 - 30 mph, I feel like I am in one of the quarter rides you used to see at KMart. Showing my age now, aren't I ???  So control arm bushings and inner wheel bearings are next on the list, while I wait "impatiently" for my replacement struts. More wrench therapy next weekend !!!

Rocketman:
Ok. Glad you got that part sorted.

Another to look at is CV axles. Some can go bad and create a vibration, but it's usually more consistent at all speeds.

If your front lower control arm bushings are bad, then that's a good item to replace. Watch the captured bolt in the frame - start spraying it down well before hand. It tends to spin the captured nut and can be real tough to get out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version