General > Build Threads

'92 Mild Widebody Build

<< < (2/8) > >>

theastronaut:

--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on October 07, 2021, 08:24:35 AM ---WOW....welcome to the forum. You're going to town on that thing. I'm glad to see owners who are wanting to do things to personalize their Capri's. I'm going to have to start shopping in SC. I'm in NC and the cheapest Capri I've seen up here is a non running N/A with 188K for $500/ Where are you located in SC?

--- End quote ---

This is John Glenn in Anderson  ;D

theastronaut:
Before I got that deep into bodywork, I had been driving it daily which uncovered a few issues.  I had it out in a rain storm and the passenger floor filled up very quickly.  I found the leak after some poking around- the extra wiper hole for rhd cars that only had tape to seal it from the factory.  The tape was gone so it was dumping water straight into the heater box under the dash... really great design  ::)  That lead to pulling the cowl and fan motor.   I fixed it with more tape, but used 3M foil tape which should be much more durable. 

The windshield was terrible- cracked plus badly scratched and pitted.  Driving at night was rough. 

The water pump gave up after about 400 miles, so I tore it apart and redid the w/p, timing belt, cam/crank seals, and refinished the valve cover.

With the mechanical work out of the way, I spent more time finishing the rough bodywork to prep it for high build primer.   I welded up the holes for the emblems, antennae, passenger side door lock, third brake light, and spoiler.  The white primer is SPI Epoxy to seal the metal and bodywork.  I bought enough to use it to seal up the areas that had bare metal or filler, and to mix with reducer and use a sealer coat after the 2k high build was sanded. 

With everything roughed in I sanded the whole car with 180 to prep for 2k high build primer from Southern Polyurethanes Inc. 

Starting to block the panels out with 220/400 grit via wetsanding. I used dry guide coat to make sure all of the 220 grit scratches were sanded out. 

I later on pulled the top cover and trunk lid so I could clean and prep the jambs for paint. 

Cleaned out, painted, and hung new lights in the stall it had been stored in.

EShepherd:
Dude, this is AMAZING!

Once mines running, can I pay you to do my bodywork? I don't have this kind of talent.

greywolf27030:

--- Quote from: theastronaut on October 07, 2021, 05:33:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: greywolf27030 on October 07, 2021, 08:24:35 AM ---WOW....welcome to the forum. You're going to town on that thing. I'm glad to see owners who are wanting to do things to personalize their Capri's. I'm going to have to start shopping in SC. I'm in NC and the cheapest Capri I've seen up here is a non running N/A with 188K for $500/ Where are you located in SC?

--- End quote ---

This is John Glenn in Anderson  ;D

--- End quote ---

hahahahaha

theastronaut:

--- Quote from: EShepherd on October 08, 2021, 05:43:27 AM ---Dude, this is AMAZING!

Once mines running, can I pay you to do my bodywork? I don't have this kind of talent.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Nah, this is one of my last body/paint jobs.  I mainly wanted to paint it to gain experience with the sealer and clear I used before I use it on customer work at our resto shop. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version