TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Recommended shops in the Los Angeles area?  (Read 3493 times)

motman

• 1991 XR2
Recommended shops in the Los Angeles area?
« on: October 04, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »

I recently bought a '91 XR2 and moved to central Los Angeles. Because this car isn't really a Ford, nor a Mazda, I'm not actually sure where to bring it for general repairs and maintenance. And more specifically, I'd love to find a mechanic with an eye for performance to tune the boost, enhance the exhaust system, those kinds of things.

Any suggestions for anyone in or around LA?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Recommended shops in the Los Angeles area?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »

Welcome to the community. Hope you are enjoying your little sports car. I'm in NC so can't provide any local help. When looking for service, look for independent Mazda mechanics. There is very little Ford about the car and what is is Australian. Ford offers almost nothing in replacement parts. Unfortunately, Mazda doesn't either. When searching for parts, if you can't find what you need for a Capri, search for 1988 Mazda GT. They use the same platform. the GTZ is totally different so stay away from it. Good luck with it.
Jack Byrd

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 08:42:38 AM »

As for turning up the boost, I'm sure someone on here can sort you out with a chipped ecu, and then all you need is a boost guage, boost tee and half an hour to install it all. It really is that simple. Then any exhaust shop can sort you out a bigger exhaust, but that's only really needed if you want to make big power or noise  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 08:44:35 AM by Aus Capri »

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:20:43 AM »

Look for tuners familiar with the first gen Miata. Not quite the same car, but it's the closest thing to the Capri that has any amount of popularity in the USA. Same engine as us, sort of. No boost, higher compression ratio, and it powers the rear wheels.