TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Replacement Oil pump  (Read 2371 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Replacement Oil pump
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:05:22 PM »

The dip stick tube has been broken off at the aluminium casting. So I thought I would replace the oil pump with a new one. But the new casting dose not have the dip stick tube. I have a oil pump assembly from a SOHC engine. Unfortunately the SOHC and the DOHC castings are different. I have tried to remove the dipstick tube from the SOHC casting, but have had no success.
Has any body done this before.
I have tried tapping it out no success.
I have tried heating it up and then tapping it, No success.
The dip stick tube will not budge.
Any suggestions ??

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Replacement Oil pump
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:52:06 PM »

So this is an issue I've also ran into. The pump is used on multiple vehicles, including some RWD ones (Miata). Due to this, they never come with a dipstick...just a hole. The Miata folks need to plug the hole, and we need to transfer our dipsticks to the new parts.

I never got mine out. I tried to remove it just so I could clean the pump as well as possible, but gave it up as a lost cause. Lot of heat and some vice grips, the damn thing never budged. My next move was to go at it with the 20-ton press, but I didn't want to risk breaking my pump. Since you are removing it from a bad part, that may be your best option. It won't matter if you mess up that pump, as long as you get the tube out. Soak the thing in PB blaster for a while before you try, and give it some heat, too.

There's probably a "correct" way to do it, but hell if I know what it is.

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 04:33:37 AM »

I did manage to get the broken part out of the oil pump housing. Using 10 mm Pin punch and a hammer. then replaced it with a aluminium tube purchased from local hardware store.
But before that I purchased a complete housing just in case.
Now have a spare.
All good.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:40 AM »

I did manage to get the broken part out of the oil pump housing. Using 10 mm Pin punch and a hammer. then replaced it with a aluminium tube purchased from local hardware store.
But before that I purchased a complete housing just in case.
Now have a spare.
All good.

Good deal
Jack Byrd