TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Where to get weather shielding for the doors?  (Read 2280 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Where to get weather shielding for the doors?
« on: September 28, 2021, 08:53:44 PM »

Hey all, so I have an issue where my 91 Capri doors will not make full contact with the weather strips around the doors. I found the service manual and was messing with the track adjustment screws but wasn't able to get a gap free seal (also tried adjusting the tension on the soft top locks). At this point I think the weather stripping is just old and maybe has shrunk slightly? Does anybody know where to find this stuff? Thanks!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Where to get weather shielding for the doors?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 04:24:50 AM »

I've not seen any aftermarket units, your options are probably good used. You could try the dealer? I'm not sure what Ford still has warehoused for the Capri, I haven't heard of anyone checking to see whats available thru the dealer recently
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »

Okay so I've spent a lot of time messing around with adjustments, and I noticed something today that I think is causing my issue... I think I failed to mention this before but, I have severe leaking on only one side of my Capri (passenger side door where the window meets the soft top). I've already tried tightening the hooks for the soft top, and I've disassembled the passenger side door and adjusted the bolts that run through the window rails. Doing this narrowed the gap significantly, but there is still a noticeable space between the glass and weather shielding on the passenger side.

So I then started comparing the driver side door to the passenger door to see if I could find any differences. Turns out the edge of my vinyl roof and the glass are much closer together on the driver side door than they are on the passenger side for some reason (nearly a centimeter closer than the passenger side). I tried looking for any adjustments on the brackets that support the soft top but couldn't find anything. Are there any adjustments I can make to close this gap? I did my best to take a photo as I was working in the dark to illustrate just how different the passenger/driver side doors are (I know if looks like they are from different angles, but you can clearly see this gap difference just by holding a finger between the edge of the vinyl and the plastic molding).

https://imgur.com/a/qzJA0DC
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:48:19 PM by mr_gr1mm »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 09:07:59 AM »

Oddly, my passenger side is shorter than my driver side also. When I replaced the top and there was no skin on it, I loosened the stop bolt at the back of the frame and it allowed it to move forward slightly but not so much that it lined up with the driver's side. Frankly, it rarely leaks but there is wind noise because of the slight gap.
Jack Byrd

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:25:40 AM »

That's strange.. at least I'm not alone. However I was searching the web today and came across the exact document I need. It is a procedure for adjusting the windows, doors, and soft top to ensure no leaks and smooth operation of the windows (my windows also struggle to go up and down). In case anyone else doesn't already have this document here it is:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.techcapri.com/TSB/TSB_90-25-7.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwio5vjAmqnzAhVyFFkFHXKDB9EQFnoECCkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3clbbczjfaCUwc_xXuew7E

I'll be going through the procedure today so wish me luck!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:08:19 AM »

That's cool, but in checking, my alignment seems to be okay.
Jack Byrd