TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: setting an odometer  (Read 1919 times)

xscottw

• 1993 Mercury Capri Base Manual
setting an odometer
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:53:17 PM »

have my eye on a new instrument cluster - but want to make sure the odometer is accurate.
I saw on the forum that it is possible to 'run it forward' till it matches by rolling over etc, I'm wondering if it's hard to do that at all or if it's fairly straight forward to figure out once you have the cluster.

Thanks in advance!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: setting an odometer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 12:16:57 AM »

You can take the cluster apart access the odometer. It's all mechanical on the Capri. The odometer shaft is lightly crimped into a steel bracket. You can bend the crimps back, remove the shaft and set the numbers where you need them to match your current vehicle. Re-crimp, reassemble & you're good to go
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: setting an odometer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:31:57 AM »

I have a spare instrument cluster, already uninstalled. It's sitting under my work bench right now, I was planning on messing with the odometer on it to roll it back to match the new chassis I got, but I never got around to it.

If you're interested in it, I'd be willing to part with it. The shop it's in is about 20 mins north of NYC.