TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: anti freeze overflow tank  (Read 1987 times)

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
anti freeze overflow tank
« on: July 31, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »

Hi all, I have a question about the cap on the anti freeze overflow tank. I asked a question about it on the "Parts" page but realized that was the wrong place to ask a tech quetion. Can anyone tell me exactly where the 2 hoses on the cap of the overflow tank goes? EShepherd sent me a photo, which I am thankful for, but it still didn't show me which hose goes back to te radiator & which hose goes to the street. The center connector on my cap is broken & anti freeze leaks out when the engine is warm. The off center connector has a hose on it that goes to the radiator. As best as I can tell, in EShepherd's photo, it looks like the center connector is where the hose is that goes to the radiator. Can anyone verify it? Also does on ot the hoses just go to the street (an overflow tank overflow). And lastly, does it even make a difference where each hose is connected? Thanks for your help. By the way, I own a 1991 xr2.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: anti freeze overflow tank
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 04:17:28 PM »

The center one is supposed to have a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank, the other is the vent to outside.
Jack Byrd

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 10:43:28 AM »

Thanks for responding Jack. As I stated, my center connector on the cap is broken, but the hose on the off center one goes to the top of the radiator under the radiator cap. I wonder if it makes a difference as to  which one is used as the vent? John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »

Yes, it makes a difference.
The radiator needs to connect to the part with the tube that runs down into the bottom of the bottle. This allows for the cooling system to overflow/withdraw coolant as needed, as the coolant expands/contracts with temperature. The tube sits at the bottom of the tank and needs to be submerged for normal operation.

The other side is for emergency overflow, if it is overheating etc it will vent coolant overboard into a safe area, down in front of the transmission. This is why that connection is at the top of the tank, it will only vent if the tank is completely full.

Mixing these up will cause the cooling system to draw air over time which will lead to problems down the line.
For the time being you can extend the radiator overflow line into the bottom of the tank, as a bodge it will allow it to operate normally
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 08:12:30 AM »

Thanks Rocketman. I thought that was the problem. I only wonder how long the previous owner drove the car with that broken overflow tank cap?! I did order a replacement & will change it asap. John  PS Please stayed tuned for whatever my next question about this car, which I love, may be!!!