TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: anti freeze overflow tank  (Read 2098 times)

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
anti freeze overflow tank
« on: July 25, 2021, 08:07:30 AM »

Hi. I just noticed on the very center of the lid of my coolant overflow tank the yellow plastic connector, where a hose would be connected,  is broken. The other, off center one, is there & does have a hose on it. I think I am losing fluid through that broken connector. Does anyone have a lid or even a whole reservoir they can sell. Thanks.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: anti freeze overflow tank
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:26:46 AM »

So you can buy aftermarket coolant overflow reservoirs at Advance Auto parts. They have two different sizes, and they come with all the hoses and fittings you would need. I put one in my wife's 06 Altima when the cap on that broke. I think I spent $10, and it took all of 5 minutes to install. I'm sure you could find better quality ones on Amazon as well. The smaller sized one is more than enough for the Capri's cooling system.

If you REALLY want the OEM cap, I believe I've got one in decent shape between the two cars. Likewise, I'm pretty sure one of the bottles is also in usable shape. For what you'd pay for shipping that though, you could get a brand new aftermarket universal one. If you're set on the OEM ones, let me know. I'll pull them, weigh them, and see what it'd cost to ship.

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:23:11 PM »

Thanks for the info EShepherd. I'll think it over. Do you know where the center hose on the cap goes to? Also, did the Capri you got on Saturday have the emblem badges?

EShepherd

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »

Unfortunately, it did not. So the hose, if I had to guess, is either going to the radiator, or it just hangs out and points at the ground. Neither of my cars have engines, so I can't go look. Let me dig through all the pictures I took, see if I can't figure it out for you. If my memory from 7 months ago is correct, it goes into the top of the radiator, possibly by the cap.

EDIT:
------

So that's the clearest picture I've got, which isn't super useful. Looks like there's two lines, and both head towards the radiator. Hopefully this is of some help to you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 07:51:37 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »

Correct one to the radiator for overflow and the other to the ground when overfilled.
Jack Byrd

johnpic

• 1991 xr2
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 01:24:36 PM »

Thanks for the picture EShepherd. It seems like the middle connector, the one with the hose underneath the cap that goes into the reservoir, is the one that goes to the radiator. On my car, that is the connector that is broken so the hose from the radiator is connected to the off center connector. As I said before, I think I am losing coolant through that broken, center connector. I would like the OEM cap if it's not too much trouble for you to mail it. I don't think the cap alone would cost a lot to send. My address is 7347 Juniper Road, Macungie, PA, 18062. I have a couple more questions & I am sure there will be more to come since the car is so new to me. 1)The needle on my oil pressure gauge doesn't go too much higher than zero once I am driving a while. I did see other people, online, mention this but noone seemed to know if that was normal for this car or a problem. 2) The needle on the temperature gauge is always above the halfway mark but, so far, never in the red. Is that normal for Capris? Thanks again for all your help. You too greywolf.

EShepherd

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »

I'll dig through my mountain of parts for that cap, and see what I dig up. As to your gauges questions, I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I may own two of these things now, and have had the first one for about 7 months now, but sadly I've literally never once in my life driven a Capri before. Sad, but true. I couldn't tell you how the gauges are supposed to read. I would be quite worried about that oil pressure situation, though. If that gauge is accurate, and you have near zero oil pressure at operating temperature, that's a big big problem. That'll kill your engine quickly. If you aren't super mechanically inclined, take it to a garage and ask them to manually read your oil pressure, specifically at idle and operating temperature. It's not too hard to do yourself if you wanted to learn. You can probably score a cheap oil pressure testing gauge at Harbor Freight or Amazon for less than $20. Someone else here can tell you what you should be seeing, but it'll definitely be significantly above 0. I'd hazard a guess of around ~30 psi.

Same deal with the temperature gauge to be honest. Most cars run around the middle, if not slightly higher. If it's reading 75% of the way up or more, that's something you'll want to look into. These engines have aluminum heads, and aluminum is prone to warping at sustained high temperatures. It's possible you coolant temperature sensor is faulty, or there could be something mechanically wrong with your cooling system. If the gauge is just reading a hair over half way though, that could well be normal on these cars. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Macungie, eh? I was just down in PA on Saturday grabbing the chassis off of Rocketman. Perhaps he has a spare reservoir cap kicking around. I don't think you're too far from him, it'd be a nice little drive. I'll hunt down one of mine though and see what sort of shape they're in. The universal reservoirs do have multiple spots for inlets/outlets, though. The one I used is plastic, and had 4 plastic tabs coming off, one on each corner. You just trim off the edge, slide the coolant hose over it, and put a clamp on. You'd be able to make it work exactly like the OEM one. One inlet from the radiator, and one outlet to the ground.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/interdynamics-idq-automotive-coolant-return-system-for-compact-cars-mcr-3/6010229-p
This is the exact one I'm talking about.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »

Ahhhh....factory gauges......lol  I have a very early '91 that has numbers on the gauges. As for oil pressure, typical for all 4 that I have had, on cold start they go to about 75%. After warm up it'll drop to about 20% with slightly above the red line at idle. On two of these cars, I've replaced the oil pump.  I haven't hooked up a gauge to see the actual reading is, but this seems to be typical for other members. New senders are expensive and may not make any difference. Believe it or not, 75% is 200* on the factory gauge which is where it should be. Don't install a cooler thermostat as it will cause the ECU to think the engine is not up to operating temp and cause it to run rich decreasing gas mileage.  Ask away.
Jack Byrd