TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Grey paint for interior  (Read 2135 times)

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
Grey paint for interior
« on: May 15, 2021, 02:07:24 PM »

Gentlemen!

Has anybody found a good match (spray)paint for the interior colour?
I tried RAL7016, which looked good inside the workshop, but isn't good in daylight.
Any suggestions?

Cheers
James

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Grey paint for interior
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 09:26:41 AM »

Are you in the United States? I'd have to assume not, because of your screen name, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways, out here (at least in the North East) there is a chain store called "Jo-Anne's Fabrics'. Every one I've ever been to has been staffed by some extremely helpful old ladies, who go way above and beyond. On my very first car, a 1997 Pontiac Bonneville, I decided I wanted to restore the interior. I had asked one of the ladies in there if they could get me leather that would match my interior. She came out to the car with me and took a few pictures. She didn't have anything in stock, but she took my phone number. Sure enough, a few days later I got a call from her saying she tracked down an exact match. It really was perfect. She even explained to me a few different ways to wrap my door cards and dashboard with it.

If you aren't dead set on paint, try finding a fabric store. It's not super difficult to wrap the plastic parts, and in my experience, hiding the (in my opinion) horrible 90's American economy car plastic under leather, or even cloth, makes the car feel much nicer. I also really hate that grey color. It's so bland, so 90's.

If you are set on it though, which parts do you need to repaint? I'm planning on gutting my interior, so I may have quite a few of the parts you'll want to restore that are destined for the trash can. If you want them, you can have them.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »

Nice to know EShepard. As far as paint goes, in the US high end paint stores can mix interior paint and put it in aerosol cans.
Jack Byrd

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 04:05:16 AM »

Hello Everbody,

Yes, I'm actually in Germany (part of a small group of Capri drivers here). Hoping to have our first real-life meeting once the COVID business is over.

I was hoping to avoid the custom-mix route, and thought maybe somebody knew of an of-the-shelf brand or colour. Like I said, I tried one out of the RAL (standardized) selection, but the light in the workshop just isn't the same as daylight. Now my centre console (the front element around the gearshift) is a shade lighter than the rest. It has to come out again soon anway, so I'll try another paint then.

If you're really taking out your interior, PM me.

Cheers
James