TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Brake fluid sensor  (Read 3108 times)

xscottw

• 1993 Mercury Capri Base Manual
Brake fluid sensor
« on: April 12, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »

Where can one acquire the brake fluid sensor for the bottom of the master cylinder, or a good replacement actuator pin as I dropped and lost it removing the sensor

xscottw

xscottw

Re: Brake fluid sensor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:34:37 PM »

Or alternatively if anyone has pics with ruler I'll make my own

xscottw

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 12:59:27 AM »

In case anyone is curious - I ended up filling the sensor holder with epoxy and curing then screwing in so no fluid leaks - it seems to be okay and I'm not sure what that does. But if I find a replacement I'll put it back in.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 06:27:47 AM »

Where are you located? I've got one on my spare chassis. I gotta double check it's in one piece, but it's yours if you want it.

xscottw

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »

Hey thanks! Quickest response on here I've gotten lol
I'm in Iowa will pay shipping and stuff

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »

Basically the sensor says uneven flow through the master cylinder, indicating you've only got 2 wheels braking you, fix the master cylinder...

xscottw

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »

during bleeding it passed fluid to all 4 calipers 🤷‍♀️

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:49:02 PM »

I actually have this exact issue.. had the brake lines flushed and now the brake light thinks the fluid level is too low, despite it being at max. So I am wondering where I can get the fluid sensor. Also, this is a dumb question but can the sensor be replaced without removing/emptying the master cylinder? I would assume it needs to be removed and emptied, or possibly the entire master cylinder needs to be replaced just to get a new sensor? Thanks in advance!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 04:27:34 AM »

So I think the issue with the brake sensor is that when you bleed the brakes, it slams the pin to one side (it is designed to show an imbalance of pressure between both brake circuits) and I'm not sure how to get it back to center. When I had this issue back in the day I unplugged the sensor to get the light off
I don't have my FSM handy to check.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »

Thanks Rocketman,

I want to try and free the float in my reservoir, but I am worried about opening the master cylinder and/or sticking an object into it such as a screwdriver. Do you know if there are any reasons not to do either of those things? I know the brake lines are supposed to be a closed system, so I hope that removing the reservoir cap doesn't mean I have to re-flush and fill the entire system again. I've been reading the capri service manual and saw that there is an actuator pin for the Ebrake light underneath the master cylinder, but the manual doesn't say whether or not that pin can be removed without losing fluid... I don't want to find out the hard way if I can help it... :/

xscottw

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 02:34:08 PM »

It can be removed without moving the master cylinder - remove the battery and put a mirror under the brake master cylinder and you'll be able to see the sensor plug.

It is going to introduce a little air to the master cylinder and brake fluid will drip out of where the sensor is supposed to go until it is replaced.
It took me a while to bleed out the air but I let the cylinder go dry while I waited for epoxy to cure.

The actuator IS NOT SECURE IN THE SENSOR
Once you remove the sensor do not tip or tilt it. The actuator will fall.

I lost my actuator, I epoxied the sensor so that I could stick it in my master cylinder and not have leaks. And cut the line to the sensor itself.

No brake light on my dash and master cylinder seems to work fine without the actuator, just wont have a pre-warning light if there's an issue.

Furthermore -
Just removing the reservoir cap won't require you to re-bleed anything as long as there is no leaks in your brake lines.

The sensor on the brake master cylinder is not for the brake light when your handbrake is on. That's separate as your hand brake is manual it does not go through the master cylinder at all and triggers a different sensor.

The sensor on the bottom of the master cylinder is to warn you you have an imbalance in your lines, like maybe a stuck caliper or something, or for fluid. To just make the light go off after a flush you should just have to unplug the sensor from the electrical part and clear codes on the car, then re-plugin the sensor.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:42:06 PM by xscottw »

xscottw

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »

Also good luck finding a new sensor - let me know if you do