TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Bolt specifications, if any...for anti-sway bar bolts?  (Read 1902 times)

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
Bolt specifications, if any...for anti-sway bar bolts?
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »

Greetings all!

I have one broken bolt to remove and three old bolts to remove while I put new anti-sway bar bushings on my car.

I figured on replacing the bolts with fresh, at least the one and probably all of them.

I went looking for bolt specifications and have not found any, in the manual or here so far.

Are there specifications?

Or just find size and thread to match, throwing a bolt grade of, say, 8 in for good measure (noting the one thread I found here where the writer matched that way at Lowe's)?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Bolt specifications, if any...for anti-sway bar bolts?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »

I would us grade 8's cause it won't cost that much. There isn't really too much stress on them so a 5 would probably be okay.
Jack Byrd

redsteve

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »

Hi Jack,

Thank you.

That was my general thought too. Grade 8 bolts are cheap enough insurance for sure.

It's funny, and not just for this car, that over the years it's nearly impossible to get fastener specifications for a lot of things. We all get pretty good at eyeballing sizes and thread count with experience. And, most of us have shop full of sorted bolts, screws, and the like...

Still,(rhetorical here) if the manufacturers know why isn't that information shared to make it easier for shops and DIYers?

Ah, well.

Thank you

Cheers!

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »

Manufacturers want us to drive a car a few years and then junk it and get a new one. Maintaining or especially restoring isn't something they want.
Jack Byrd

redsteve

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »

Hi Jack,

Agreed...and then there are people like us, eh?

It's not just cars for me. Most of what I own is decades old, and still repairable one way or another...mostly, and is repaired in good order.

Sometimes it's hard.

For example, right now I am waiting on delivery of a new ICM, because nobody...nobody...had one in stock. Still, it's coming...

Cheers all!

Steve