TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Coilover + Shock kits for 91 base Capri  (Read 1229 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Coilover + Shock kits for 91 base Capri
« on: November 08, 2022, 03:53:28 PM »

Hey all,

My Capri is in desperate need of new suspension (rides extremely rough and you can feel every little bump in the road). I have been trying to scour the forum for clues on what aftermarket options exist that will fit (I'm partial to something more attractive than OEM, and I don't want something that requires modification if possible). From what I've learned, it sounds like the late 80's Mazda 323 should be my go-to. In my search, I stumbled across these:
https://ksportusa.com/product/mazda-323-asphalt-rally-spec-ar-coilovers-cmz241-ar/?swoofs=1&vehicles=mazda-323-1988

Since I have never torn apart the suspension, I have no idea whether these are the correct fitment based on the images. Can someone confirm for me? Also not sure if ksportusa.com is legitimate but at these prices I would hope so.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: so I noticed that the description says 4WD, and I read somewhere that only the 2WD Mazda 323 struts will fit the Capri. I couldn't find a set for 2WD but there is a "Road Race" version of these which look similar to what I believe the 2WD coilover design would be:
https://ksportusa.com/product/mazda-323-version-rr-road-race-coilovers-cmz241-rr/?swoofs=1&vehicles=mazda-323-1988
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:59:35 PM by mr_gr1mm »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Coilover + Shock kits for 91 base Capri
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »

Both of those are for the GTX which is an AWD and the rears won't fit. The standard 323 rears also won't fit they are too long. If you do FB, there are several suggestions on the 1991-1994 Mercury Capri Owners Group. A member there is doing a group buy on custom made coilovers substantially less than the ones you're looking at. There are others that can be modified to work.
Jack Byrd

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »

Thanks for the info! I looked over on the FB group and it seems like the bulk order of coilovers might not be the best quality (judging based on the price and input from other forum users). It sounds like if I know the measurements I can just order custom coilover+struts - do you happen to know what the measurements are for a 91 Base Capri? I would love to be able to order custom from a top-notch vendor like Ksport or BC Racing...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 08:05:52 PM »

You can also piece together coilovers using OEM struts. You'd have to measure the strut tube, but you can buy adjustable spring perches & springs from a place like Summit Racing. I have done custom coilovers on a different car that way

If I was in the market myself I'd get the set from the group buy on FB, worth a shot IMO.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 05:13:49 AM »

Hey guys, I don't have Facebook. Can anyone give me details on this coilover deal? Like, cost and estimated delivery date? Whom do I throw my money at? This is an issue I've been trying to solve for years.

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 05:55:30 AM »

So I had a nice long conversation with the guy in charge of this operation (his FB name is Ramesses). Here is what he said to me:

"We are only in the first phase of design and prototype, a lot goes into this: 1. Fitment, 2. Safety, 3. Performance, 4. Quality. You have time to order as we haven't taken any money for them yet until the first demo set is produced. We will be in the $500 to $700 range with good ride quality. They will be available for sale in the next few months."

My only advice is to get on FB (either borrow someone's account, or make a burner so you can get in touch with him). I also do not have FB and refuse to get one, so I just used my wife's account  ;D. Well worth it to be on the list of recipients for these parts. At this point people are just getting a head count on interested buyers so you still have time to let him know you want a set as well.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »

He is very active on the FB group and has a really nice build going. I'm considering a couple of sets myself.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 07:11:21 PM »

I will see if we can get him to post the information here as well
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"