TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 4777 times)

Cat

• 91 XR2, 03 Pontiac Vibe, 14 Honda CR-Z
Oil
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »

I don't like to bring up the subject of oil since it is always so hotly debated for every vehicle, but a friend has been giving me dire warnings not to use SN rated oil because it will destroy the turbo.  Another friend asked an oil engineer about it and the reply was SN would be fine.  My first friend countered with SN is fine for newer turbo engines, but not ours from the early 90s.  I know the original owner of my car just had the oil changed at the dealer and some local oil change places, so he never used anything out of the ordinary in it.  My first friend also warned me not to use synthetic, yet my other friend recommended it.  Is anyone here using anything other than ordinary currently rated off the shelf SN oil?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »

I use synthetic, 200K.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Oil
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:15:06 AM »

Early on I was using mobil1 synthetic, recently I've been running the cheapest wal-mart oil I could find. Just keep oil in the engine, and change it when it's dirty.

Anymore I've been running 10w30, I don't run my stuff in colder weather anymore.

BTW, the turbo is water cooled, which prevents a lot of the issues early turbo engines saw (many did not have water-cooled turbos)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"