TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Hot Start issues.  (Read 3415 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Hot Start issues.
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:13:49 PM »

Hi All.
This problem has probably been discussed before. But.....
Cold starts OK. Hot starts engine needs to be cranked over for longer, but will start. This has not been a problem when using the key to start. But I have just fitted a push button start/stop system. Again cold starts Ok. But hot starts a issue. As the start/stop modual only energizes the starter for a brief time I have to push the button several times to get it started.
I have read a lot of posts here that tell of similar or worse starting problems. Once car is running it goes like a dream.
Do I replace the ICM.
I have already changed it over with a spare I had from a donor car.
But no change.
Is there something esle I should be looking at.

cheers
kiwimagic

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Hot Start issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »

Just something you can check here, and easily if you have an IR thermometer. I had this issue on an old 3000GT I used to own. I was somehow heat-soaking my starter, so after running the car pretty hard, shutting it off, then trying to start it, it wouldn't start easily. I ended up bending a piece of aluminum and mounting it around the starter, and it somewhat helped my issue. I'm not sure if the starter is in the same location on the NA Capri as it is on the Xr2, but it's something you could look into.

Kiwimagic

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:39:05 PM »

Thanks, I will try that and see if it helps.
Even after the car has been sitting for a few hours and cooled down it needs to be turned over for about 5 sec or so. But if left overnight it starts first time. Strange.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:57:52 AM »

It really sounds like your push button start is a problem.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 01:10:09 AM »

There is a vacuum solenoid to help with hot-starts with the capri. It blocks vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator to raise the fuel pressure on a hot start. I'm not sure how much it helps but it may be worth investigating.

Can you still start it with the key? If so, does the behavior persist with the key?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Kiwimagic

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:25:47 PM »

The problem still exists. Even with the key. Where is this vacuum solenoid located on the car. Is it on the firewall ??

Kiwimagic

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 10:52:36 PM »

BUT.......
The Capri is a 1989 to 1990 SOHC (SA)not a DOHC. DOHC SAii engines came in 1991
There are no solenoids on the fire wall. The vacuum hose that comes from the fuel pressure regulator plugs directly into the inlet manifold along with all the other vacuum hoses.
I blocked off that with vice grips and still sluggish start when hot.
Could it be old spark plugs.

Kiwimagic

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 11:21:54 PM »

AH!!!!!!
Just pulled off the hose between the IAC inlet and the pipe that is between the inlet manifold and the air box.
Some one had blocked it off and then replaced the hose onto the IAC so nothing was getting through.
Starts first time now but idles at 2000 Rpm.
Slows down when I kink the replacement hose.
So looks like the problem is the IAC not working properly.
I have a couple of spares, will swap it over and see what difference it makes.

Kiwimagic

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 02:36:11 AM »

no water was getting through the IAC . got it all cleaned out and water flowing through the IAC. When its cold I can blow air through the large outlets. When heated with a heat gun it blocks off. So all good will put it back on the car.
Now I think that the inlet or outlet water hose to the IAC are blocked also. Car runs but still idles at around 2000rpm.
I have screwed the adjuster which is on the top of the throttle body in as far as it will go. Now idles at 1100 rpm. Will let it cool down and see what happens.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 07:15:26 AM »

It probably won't idle good cold. That blocked water passage is a problem. I've had two like that and no luck getting them cleared although I've heard of some people having luck with it. In both of my cases, the hole in the block was also stopped up and had to be drilled out to get flow from there.
Jack Byrd