Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Hot Start issues.

(1/2) > >>

Kiwimagic:
Hi All.
This problem has probably been discussed before. But.....
Cold starts OK. Hot starts engine needs to be cranked over for longer, but will start. This has not been a problem when using the key to start. But I have just fitted a push button start/stop system. Again cold starts Ok. But hot starts a issue. As the start/stop modual only energizes the starter for a brief time I have to push the button several times to get it started.
I have read a lot of posts here that tell of similar or worse starting problems. Once car is running it goes like a dream.
Do I replace the ICM.
I have already changed it over with a spare I had from a donor car.
But no change.
Is there something esle I should be looking at.

cheers
kiwimagic

EShepherd:
Just something you can check here, and easily if you have an IR thermometer. I had this issue on an old 3000GT I used to own. I was somehow heat-soaking my starter, so after running the car pretty hard, shutting it off, then trying to start it, it wouldn't start easily. I ended up bending a piece of aluminum and mounting it around the starter, and it somewhat helped my issue. I'm not sure if the starter is in the same location on the NA Capri as it is on the Xr2, but it's something you could look into.

Kiwimagic:
Thanks, I will try that and see if it helps.
Even after the car has been sitting for a few hours and cooled down it needs to be turned over for about 5 sec or so. But if left overnight it starts first time. Strange.

greywolf27030:
It really sounds like your push button start is a problem.

Rocketman:
There is a vacuum solenoid to help with hot-starts with the capri. It blocks vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator to raise the fuel pressure on a hot start. I'm not sure how much it helps but it may be worth investigating.

Can you still start it with the key? If so, does the behavior persist with the key?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version