TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: De-Power Steering Rack  (Read 3345 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
De-Power Steering Rack
« on: March 26, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »

Hey, have any of you guys ever gotten rid of your power steering? I'm still on the fence about it, because I'm having a hard time finding a replacement rack, but it is something I'd like to do. I just don't want to ruin the original rack, in case I ever decide to put the power steering back in. My plan would be to open it up and remove the seals, and then to route the feed and return lines into each other. My theory is that with such a light, short wheel base car, it shouldn't be difficult at all to drive with manual steering. Its front wheel drive, so it's not like I'll need to fight the wheel to hold it into drift or anything like that.

So, I've got a few questions. If anyone has done it, how is the steering feel? Specifically at low speeds is my concern. Does anyone know where I could source an (ideally rebuilt) steering rack? I had seen on another post in here that Rocket mentioned having one with a tighter ratio. I'd love to get my hands on something like that. Lastly, does anyone have any idea how much pressure would be built up in the feed and return lines? I ask because I'm not sure the best way to make a line to connect the feed and return lines and bypass the pump. Do you think it would be low enough that I could just clamp a rubber hose from the feed port on the rack right to the return port on the rack? Or will it be significant enough that I should make an actual line to connect the two existing lines?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. My life would be so much easier if a manual rack existed for these, but I'm fairly certain I'm SOL on that front. This car is being purpose built as a toy, so I really don't NEED the creature comforts like AC and power steering. It may eventually find it's way to the rally stages, possibly. Depends on how well the build comes out. In any case, anything I can do to free up a little horsepower, and shed some weight, is something I'll be looking into.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: De-Power Steering Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:06 AM »

Rockauto has them for both the Capri and Mazda 323.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: De-Power Steering Rack
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »

D'oh. I dunno how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out to me.