TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Bogging/stalling out  (Read 1748 times)

That1guy

• 91 Mercury Capri XR2
Bogging/stalling out
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:54:23 PM »

So I fixed my idle issue and it idles fine but now it is bogging out when something kicks off. Ex. I turn on the lights and the rpms jump a bit as usual but then when I turn them off it bogs down to 500rpm or lower. If I have the blower going at 2 or higher it wont bog but then it'll bog when I turn off the blower. Same goes for the radiator fan. I've checked some grounds and they seem good. It has an aftermarket alternator the previous owner put on so I was thinking that could be a problem. Then again its been fine up until today. I recently cleaned the iacv to fix my idle problem and its been good for a few days. Cold is at 1500rpm and warm is 850ish. The problem randomly goes away and will be fine for a few mims then go right back to it. Doenst effect driving so far only when sitting. It died out once or twice when I tapped the gas to get it going and it would drop like a brick and completely stall out. I have a few ideas or what it could be but was hoping someone could help me out.

-That1guy

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Bogging/stalling out
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »

Check the throttle linkages. I believe there is a spring that allows the plate to return to close when letting off the go pedal. Perhaps it's sticking or otherwise compromised? If that looks okay, then it sounds like you could have an electrical issue, possibly related to that aftermarket alternator. What does the voltage in your battery ready when the key is off, engine is off? How about with the key on, engine on, with all the loads off?  Likewise, but with loads like the high beams and blower motor on fully? Those three numbers should give you a decent indication of if there is something wonky going on with your charging system.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »

There's a module somewhere in the car that measures electrical load & controls the idle valve to help compensate for higher/sudden loads. Supposed to bump the idle when the AC is on too. Check the FSM for details on that, it sounds related to your issues.

850 RPM is at the lower limit of the factory spec, I think it's 850-950. You could try bumping it up a bit, there's an adjustment on the throttle body hidden under a rubber plug what for adjusting the idle.

I think you said you messed with the adjuster on the idle valve - did you get that sorted? I've never adjusted one before. That could be it too
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

That1guy

• 91 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 08:57:28 PM »

Hey thanks for the tips, sorry I took so long to respond.  My throttle linkages looks good , not too tight or loose. I measured the voltage and got 12+ with the battery off and 14+ with it on. When I turned it off it read 13+ and slowly drained to 12,  and it didnt drop very much with everything on, so all good there.  Youre talking about the ECLU, right? Im was planning on tearing apart the dashboard anyways to try and reduce the shakes, so Ill test that then. Im honestly not sure if I have the Iacv screw back right 100% but the car seemed to run best where its at. On another note, I pulled my engine code and it flashed 5 times and based on the chart I found that means a kncok sensor but threre is no engine knock, just some ticking. I read that they melt, so could that cause a flase reading?
The check engine light only comes on when it does the 2k cold start idle. Doenst always do it but it still happens.   Thanks for the help