Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Aftermarket

Front Mount Intercooler (& Piping)

(1/2) > >>

EShepherd:
Does anyone know of a FMIC that's fairly close to a direct bolt-in fit for our XR'2? I don't mind if it's the same size as the factory one, although obviously I'd prefer if it was longer. I'm deleting my air conditioning, so the compressor won't be up front taking up prime real estate anymore. I'm looking for something that'll keep the charge air temperatures down around factory levels, even after increasing the boost up to around 16ish psi. Ideally it'll be nice and hidden under the front bumper skin. I don't really like the whole "intercooler hanging out from the bottom of my bumper" look that I've seen a lot of Honda owner's especially doing. Discretion, and performance...that's the goal here.

Bonus points if it comes with, or if you can link me to, some piping that'll work with it. These factory turbo pipes are old and hard, and a little sad looking. Thanks, fellow Capri owners.

Rocketman:
The Ford Probe GT (first gen) intercooler is supposed to be nearly a direct fit, but longer.

Your best bet is to eliminate all the stock piping and go with a nice front mount, they tuck very nicely under the stock bumper, definitely not Honda style
The stock piping, particularly the pre-turbo inlet J pipe, is astoundingly restrictive. I've used Home Depot rubber plumbing adapters to eliminate the pipe, there's some pics somewhere here or on my website. Basically anything you can do is an improvement.

There's no piping kits available. I did my FMIC with an eBay intercooler + universal piping kit. (if you're not using sewer fittings, the turbo inlet is a special size, I ordered appropriately sized pieces from siliconeintakes.com) I replaced my stock crossover pipe with exhaust pipe (steel) because that is all I was able to weld at the time. Pretty sure there's pics of that here too. Made a huge difference over the stock stuff.

(found some FMIC pics)

I don't recall the size of the intercooler, it's somewhere on the forum here.
Either way you'll be DIY'ing it, it's not difficult, just time consuming. Maybe that would be a nice summer thing for a visit to my shop, I can TIG aluminum now

greywolf27030:
Super nice installation. Didn't know you had a website, what is it? How much outside work do you do in your shop?

EShepherd:
Definitely something I'll be playing with. Man, I wish I could TIG weld. My wife always makes fun of my welds, but she took like 3 years of welding classes. I might very well take you up on that offer in a few months here Rocket, thanks.

EShepherd:
Do you think upgrading the radiator fans as well when I replace the factory intercooler would give me a noticeable decrease in charge air temperatures? I'm looking to efficiently increase my boost level to around 16psi, after breaking in the new(ly rebuilt) engine, at factory boost levels, of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version